better driver mounting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen this way of mounting bass/mid drivers, with the builder claiming it gives the driver room to 'breathe' See fig.2 As opposed to leaving the usual sqhare edge in 18mm MDF or whatever.

Any opinions on this? Does it make any difference?

Attachments

• mounting-cross-section.gif
    mounting-cross-section.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,744
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Re: better driver mounting

planet10 said:
The 2nd is better... i always do this. The thicker the baffle the more important it is. The front flange should also drop into a rebate so that it is flush with the baffle (well except for subs)

dave

Dave, why shouldn't subs be flush with the baffle also? Does it simply not matter with the lower frequencies?

--
Brian

I'm just wondering if you still can use T- nuts when rounding the edges??

Round the edges between the T-nuts But instead of using T-nuts (which I hate ) you could make your own K-nuts (K as in Keld:) ). I think they are far better.

Why K-nuts:
they never come loose (a little glue helps)
you need little or no wood at the inside (You can have halfe holes and they still works perfect.
Its a DIY

Why not: require some tools and work to make them.

DVC Keld

Attachments

• k-nut.gif
    k-nut.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,685
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BrianGT said:
With the opposite phase, right? How would one go about designing a system with this concept?

No, wired in the same phase. Depending on how you filter the back driver it acts as a 0.5 speaker in an x,5-way system (but the 90 degree phase roll is hidden from the front speaker) or as the other half of a bipole.

examples:
TLb
bipolar ML-TQWT
Sub concept

The box is designed for 2-woofers, it is the topological config that differs.

dave

""Hello,
did someone ever used the WELLNUTS or FLEXLOC ?
They should insolate better the drivers from the cabinet.

Claudio""

They look cool - I was going to use T-nuts, but may look for them instead...

I'm using a 38mm mdf baffle - is it best to route out a larger area at rear, leaving - say - 20mm thickness (which can then be routed), or do I look for a 35mm round over bit for the router? (On the mid baffle the rear magnet is just about clear of the back of the baffle:bigeyes: )

Rob

planet10 said:

No, wired in the same phase. Depending on how you filter the back driver it acts as a 0.5 speaker in an x,5-way system (but the 90 degree phase roll is hidden from the front speaker) or as the other half of a bipole.

examples:
TLb
bipolar ML-TQWT
Sub concept

The box is designed for 2-woofers, it is the topological config that differs.

dave

I have used the threaded rod technique, not with two woofers, I used only one. I ran threaded rod from the driver to the rear baffle. I used 1/4-20 from the front to back through two braces. At each brace the rods were locked in place with nuts. It works very well at stiffening the front and rear baffle. The only problem is the threaded rod rings like a bell. Going through the braces helped, then after applying a generous amount of silcone to the rods the ringing was gone.

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.