Surrounds - how should they be done? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2008, 10:06 PM   #21
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Also note how SL is using his:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/surround_system.htm

..About a "3rd" of what I suggested. He neither has the "top" set of speakers nor does he have what I would consider a rear-wall set (..rather his "rear" set is placed as an additional "side set".
Old 8th March 2008, 01:27 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Shin,

In my experience with the modern DD or DTS and 7.1 the bipolars are less necessary. With Dolby pro logic and 5.1 the surrounds had to help create a lot of ambience and reflected sounds helped but with the new Dolby surround there is a lot less of this effect needed if you use the 7.1 set up. I use 7.1 in a small room and the rear surrounds can be small and inexpensive. I have mine directed at the seating areas as if they were listening speakers. I think this is better and more immersive than the 5.1 setup even in a small room.

The middle surrounds now seem to take on a more wide range and dynamic roll for discrete effects as well as added ambience. I think a wide dispersion high dynamic range speaker with a wide frequency response works best. I have mine high and mounted on the wall and pointed at the listening area. Don't think this is necessarily the best but it works very well for movies in a small room.

I think that for sound effects coming from the sides some localization effect is good. You almost want to be able to tell where the direction of the sound is coming from with many special effects. Less so with ambience effects.

My theory is that for best effect all the speakers should be placed so they create the most holographic sound stage as possible which usually means some distance out from the walls, but this is not usually realistic in a small room.

If it is not possible due to room and furniture dimensions to do a 7.1 with seperate speakers, I think you could do it by building a combined 30 degree or 45 degree surround speaker with the middle surround on one baffle which points more to the seating position and the rear surround channel on the baffle that is directed at the rear of the room to bounce the ambient sound around back there.

This would be kind of a bipolar but the drivers would get a different signal on each baffle. Don't know if this has been tried before and some interference problems could arise so some spacing is desirable.

Old 10th March 2008, 01:29 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue934
is this just a marketing ploy?
I doubt the marketing dept that came up with this line is capable of any sort of ploy:

"guaranteeing that voice and timbre matching from other models is guaranteed."
(from the Energy website)
Old 10th March 2008, 02:01 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

OK just bear in mind my lack of expertise and an "OLD" 5.1 receiver/amp ( OK it was all I can afford !! ) my set-up is only used for watching DVD's, small room but lots of drapery, all my speakers are cheap Sansui 5inch 2-ways, made them full range by adding a very cheap sub to each channel and in my room the rears sound better facing the ceiling, but the sound changes when the tweeter is closer to the wall, and thats how they are set-up now
I think that home theatre is less critical of componentry as most people would tend to use El-Cheapo " theatre in a box set-up, and anything is a definite improvement on those.

Hide this!Advertise here!