Surrounds - how should they be done? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2008, 02:25 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by noodle_snacks
Movie theatres generally have 3-4 speakers on each side for wide, even coverage of the surround channels, then 2-4 (depending on the size of the theatre) for the rear surround channel. For larger rooms why not consider doing something similar with a bunch of small (say 1in+5in) monopoles, you can run them in series and parallel to keep ye' olde amp happy.
In large theaters the 20-40 feet distance between the surround speakers playing the same signal helps to decorrelate them. In a small listening room with much closer spacing result in nasty comb filtering.
Old 7th March 2008, 02:58 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Gatti
Check out this comparison of each type, Shin.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/25/

In the end, I decided a regular monopole was the safest, and most versatile option. It's nice to have the option to use it as a main speaker when the need arises.
Broken link?
Old 7th March 2008, 03:41 AM   #13
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Fullrange driver with excellent off-axis dispersion to 2 kHz - RADIAL configuration.

Up against the wall rather like a lighting sconce.

2 of them per "channel".

One near listener's seated ear-height "facing up".

The other spaced to "taste" directly above the bottom driver "facing down". (..usually at least 2 feet vertically between them.)

At least 2 "channels" per side wall and at least one channel at the rear. Symmetrical.

EQ'ed at listener's position (..or if for groups then across an average near the primary listener's position).

This design (unlike any of the others), tends to make the walls "melt away" when its done properly at the correct spl..
Old 7th March 2008, 09:42 AM   #14
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

I use all monopoles behind a sofa with the LR firing sideways which reflects sound off the walls and the centre rear fires to the ceiling.

The speakers are around 500mm below ear level and the side firing creates a null in the listening area so you mostly hear reflected sound but still can pin point soundstage location.

Out of sight and set and forget.
Old 7th March 2008, 09:55 AM   #15
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rabbitz
I use all monopoles behind a sofa with the LR firing sideways which reflects sound off the walls and the centre rear fires to the ceiling.

The speakers are around 500mm below ear level and the side firing creates a null in the listening area so you mostly hear reflected sound but still can pin point soundstage location.

Out of sight and set and forget.
Surely with monopoles side firing you won't get a null, in fact the output will be at it's strongest.
Old 7th March 2008, 10:07 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

The sofa gives you the null from the actual speakers.
Old 7th March 2008, 11:13 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I better clarify and repaint the picture on this. The null I'm referring to is the direct sound from the speaker drivers and not the reflected sound or we'll hear nothing.

It's been said that a rear speaker is best when the source of the sound cannot be localized by the listener... not my words but quoted from TLDCookbook. So all I want to hear is reflected sound with any direct sound being low down in the overall soundstage.

The listening position in my room was relocated to suit stereo listening which meant my existing rear speakers could not be used due to no access to the wall cavity in the new location. Research at M&K lead me to the fact that rears should be located above or below the ears (forget the exact dimension) and below would suit my application.

I tried monopoles firing to the front and monopoles firing to the ceiling. It wasn't until I tried side firing LR monopole rears behind the sofa that it all came together in this room. The sofa hides the speakers, the listening position is about 150 off axis so that's a null in my books and was tested by removing a great portion of the reflected sound. Very dead at the listening position. Most of what you hear is from the reflected sound which comes back to non localized sound from the source drivers mentioned above.

This worked well in this room and was tailored to suit the listening position and speaker position problems. Put it in another room and it could all fall apart. As with most speakers, it all has to be tailored to suit the room and equipment as one size does not fit all for sure.

Another nifty solution that I have actually heard was at Collo's with diffused rears and works extremely well. If memory serves me, Pearl Harbour was being played and the Zero's flying around the room was very convincing indeed and the diffusers certainly helped with non localized sound.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/home-theatre.htm
Old 7th March 2008, 12:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Scott:

I've attached a drawing of what I think you're talking about. Each of the speakers would have one full-range driver in it? I've tried to show a "side wall". Is the listener to be seated in between the two "channels"? I also don't know what "RADIAL" means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example.jpg (7.5 KB, 294 views)
Old 7th March 2008, 04:33 PM   #19
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m0tion
Scott:

I've attached a drawing of what I think you're talking about. Each of the speakers would have one full-range driver in it? I've tried to show a "side wall". Is the listener to be seated in between the two "channels"? I also don't know what "RADIAL" means.

Thats it, though where the listener is - is usually in between or slightly in front of the first grouping of side speakers.

Note that you can cut the high freq. output to taste as well with the eq.. You would of course also need a more traditional "subwoofer" that extends higher in freq..
Old 7th March 2008, 06:44 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Shin:

With all this talk about using full-range drivers I think you should definitely look at using the Jordan JX92S. I was pretty impressed with the measurements.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/Jordan-JX92S-HD.gif

Hide this!Advertise here!