Any Experience with Troels Gravesen Designs??? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2007, 08:21 PM   #41
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seve

Regarding the TJLW3 which I have only heard for a very short time so my comments my not be correct. I remember the bas to be quite better/more powerfull in the point75i. Also I much prefered the point75i overall, but then again I am also biased towards the point75i.

What about the Acapella have you considered that one?

Regards
Martin
It's intereseting that you find the base of the TJL better than the Point75i considering the TJL driver is only 7in. while the Point75i has a dedicated 8in woofer.
Old 27th January 2007, 08:52 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andy2

It's intereseting that you find the base of the TJL better than the Point75i considering the TJL driver is only 7in. while the Point75i has a dedicated 8in woofer.
I think you have misunderstood me, which likely is because english is not my spoken language.

What I wrote was: "I remember the bas to be quite better/more powerfull in the point75i. Also I much prefered the point75i overall, but then again I am also biased towards the point75i."

By this I tried to tell that I remeber the bas of the point75i to be the best.

Martin
Old 27th January 2007, 05:16 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seve

I think you have misunderstood me, which likely is because english is not my spoken language.

What I wrote was: "I remember the bas to be quite better/more powerfull in the point75i. Also I much prefered the point75i overall, but then again I am also biased towards the point75i."

By this I tried to tell that I remeber the bas of the point75i to be the best.

Martin
Sorry, my fault.
Old 29th January 2007, 09:58 AM   #44
jon37bw is offline jon37bw  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Martin,

thank you for your comments.

The Acapella is to large I think.

I am close to make a decision for the Point75i.
With your comments I got a better feeling concering room placement. My understanding is that it is not that critical. Moreover, even with other speakers the placement to rear/side wall has some effects.

When I google for informations about dipole speakers, I always get articles or descriptions about speakers for surround sound.

But I hope, the Point75i is a high-end speaker, not for home cinema.

Therefore, my impression was that Ekta or TJLW3 are more high-end, e.g. have more transparency.

Regards

Andreas
Old 29th January 2007, 08:32 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jon37bw
Hi Martin,

thank you for your comments.

The Acapella is to large I think.

I am close to make a decision for the Point75i.
With your comments I got a better feeling concering room placement. My understanding is that it is not that critical. Moreover, even with other speakers the placement to rear/side wall has some effects.

When I google for informations about dipole speakers, I always get articles or descriptions about speakers for surround sound.

But I hope, the Point75i is a high-end speaker, not for home cinema.

Therefore, my impression was that Ekta or TJLW3 are more high-end, e.g. have more transparency.

Regards

Andreas
In home theater, dipole means complete different thing and they are used mainly for the surround channels. I won't go into details, but dont' worry the Point75i is definitely high end for two channel listening.
Old 30th January 2007, 01:22 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

I think the speakers you guys are recomending are way to big for such a tiny little room. One of the first rules of getting good sound is that the smaller the room the less bass output the speaker should have. If not you end up with boomy bloated bass. And its much easier to listen to a system thats missing the last octave then one with boomy overblown bass. Also I dont think the PMS is going to be an easy build for a newbies first project! For a 10x12ft room a small standmount is all you will need.
Old 30th January 2007, 02:27 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Not necessarily, my room is 10.5x12.5x8 and my prototype SP95's sound very nice

If you can contol the main room modes (room treatment, eq ect) it's no problem
Old 30th January 2007, 09:03 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Yes your right, with eq and room treatments its possible to fix these problems. But why not just try to avoid the problem all together?? If he isnt happy with the bass output from a small 2way, he could always add an active sub. This gives you more flexibilty to play around with differant speaker placements. But I bet he wouldnt even need a sub in that room, unless he was listening to very bass heavy music like rap or electronic. And besides I dont think the PMS could be considered an entry level project for a newbie I think a simpe 2-way bookshelf speaker is much better first project.
Old 30th January 2007, 09:17 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imperfectcircle I dont think the PMS could be considered an entry level project for a newbie I think a
simpe 2-way bookshelf speaker is much better first project.
Definitely
Old 30th January 2007, 09:35 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

I think that sometimes expereinced builders forget what it was like to be a newbie

Hide this!Advertise here!