Any Experience with Troels Gravesen Designs??? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2006, 01:57 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Cool... Thanks for the replies everyone... It seems a lot of people really like NAD equipment...

Now, I am just getting into DIY speakers and whatnot...

I am a pretty good woodworker... However, I am not that experienced with electronics...

I feel confident that I can hook up the crossovers if I follow the schematics...

However, are there beginner level diy amps out there that have high quality???

I am confident that I can solder some wires together and follow instructions, but I know I do not have the skill level to build an amp from scratch...

Thanks once again,
Mark
Old 3rd October 2006, 08:52 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kyselym
but forget about CD player from NAD. He says that thier quality significantly droped. But you can look for some older models...
I was told the exact opposite

I know some Nad CD players prior to the BEE series had problems playing CD-R's and although the company never admitted so this may have been due to some anti-piracy device installed in the player. In any case, NAD must have fixed this big time because the 521 now plays CDR's no other player, regardless of quality, would play. In fact I have yet to find a type/brand of CDR it won't play.

As for the sound well, I like it a lot. The old NADs sounded too "wide" for my taste. This is a question of personal taste, I prefer tight and accurate sound, such as the sound my old YBA player delivered before it passed away (way too costly to fix)

The $1200 Cambridge Audio player I had bought 3 years ago looked cool and sounded okay in the store, but turned out to be a turkey. The much more affordable NAD sounds much, much better. One look under the hood tells me it's better built too.
Old 3rd October 2006, 09:17 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mlammert
It seems a lot of people really like NAD equipment...
Indeed. John K. used to have a website dedicated to the sole purpose of signing the praises of NAD electronics

Now even more people like them because they cost less than they used to when they were manufactured in the UK. They are still designed there, but built in China now. I don't want to insult the British, but it seems to me that the build quality is even better now lol

In any case, their sound quality is totally out of proportion with their price, sorta like what happens with Hi-Vi speakers. We still have to get used to the idea that the Chinese can produce outstanding quality products at ridiculously low cost. Because of this I try not to let the asking price influence my subjective impression of a product's quality like I used to. This applies both ways of course, pricey doesn't necessarily imply good quality.

Quote:
Now, I am just getting into DIY speakers and whatnot...

I am a pretty good woodworker... However, I am not that experienced with electronics...

I feel confident that I can hook up the crossovers if I follow the schematics...

I am confident that I can solder some wires together and follow instructions, but I know I do not have the skill level to build an amp from scratch...

Thanks once again,
Mark
The main reason I suggested NAD was precisely because I figured you probably wouldn't want to venture into DIY electronics just now and that for a similar investment you can still get a commercial product of audiophile quality. When done properly DIY amps are a better value, but it can be tricky and it's somewhat risky (you can muff it) so it's better to start with commercial electronics; this way at least you'll have backups should something go wrong when you decide to go DIY.
Old 3rd October 2006, 10:01 PM   #34
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mlammert

Thanks once again,
Mark
Umm... Try looing at my first post on page 1.

Any Experience with Troels Gravesen Designs???
Old 4th October 2006, 06:53 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Once again, thanks for all the responses and info guys... I really appreciate it...

Mark
Old 4th October 2006, 11:19 PM   #36
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

I suggest looking into used stuffs:

audiogon.com

You can find some very good deals there.
Old 9th October 2006, 07:51 PM   #37
fgroen is offline fgroen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I just came across this topic, since I bought componentry for the W1500/97, so I was curious for feed-back, since I still need to start building.

I will use this small speaker in my living room, being driven by a Densen Beat B100 and a TEAC VRDS-20 CD-player. I just wanted to make a comment on the NAD comments: I never heard a good NAD amp. I must say, that I only heard fairly budget level equipment from NAD, but it didn't anything for me.

Maybe I'm a bit spoilt, since my first amp I owned was a second-hand Accuphase E-203 (back in the 80's), and it has only gone uphill from there.

Right now my reference is driven by Classé poweramp and ML preamp, an excellent combination.

I would say, ditch the NAD idea and get something decent.
Old 10th October 2006, 08:59 AM   #38
kwng11 is offline kwng11  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

This is the same question i am asking, but seems not much people will know the answer~
actually, the think the sound is quite soft and not agressive at treble, but bass is strong and compared and small to mid floor stand
Old 26th January 2007, 08:40 AM   #39
jon37bw is offline jon37bw  Germany
diyAudio Member

I am comming back to Troels speaker designs.
Does anybody has experiences with Point75i concerning placement in a room ?
The distance to the rear wall should be at least 60cm.
What if one speaker is located near a corner, the other not ?
I have doubts if in such a situation dipol speakers are a good choice.
What about Ekta or TJLW3 ? Is the bass performance as good as with Point75i ?

Jens
Old 26th January 2007, 07:43 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jon37bw
I am comming back to Troels speaker designs.
Does anybody has experiences with Point75i concerning placement in a room ?
The distance to the rear wall should be at least 60cm.
What if one speaker is located near a corner, the other not ?
I have doubts if in such a situation dipol speakers are a good choice.
What about Ekta or TJLW3 ? Is the bass performance as good as with Point75i ?

Jens

I have the Point75i build by Troels him self and will answer as good as I can, but I find it quite difficult to describe sound with langauge, but I will try.

I have found that sound is effected by the distance to the rear wall and my speakers are place about 60 cm from the rear wall. I find the sound being more compressed if they are to close to the wall, but I find most speakers placed to close to the wall reacting this way.

My speakers are actually placed such that the one speaker is rather close to one corner, which is around 1 m away. The sound is better when they are moved a little more away from the corner, but I can live with the effects. The proAc 2.5 clone i owned before on the other hand was way too boomy in the bas placed in the same position.

Overall I like this speaker very much, but it needs some power to really open up, which is why I will try his C17 MK4 as an alternativ, but still keep the Point75i.

I have not heard the EKTA and can not comment on that one.

Regarding the TJLW3 which I have only heard for a very short time so my comments my not be correct. I remember the bas to be quite better/more powerfull in the point75i. Also I much prefered the point75i overall, but then again I am also biased towards the point75i.

What about the Acapella have you considered that one?

Regards
Martin

Hide this!Advertise here!