Any Experience with Troels Gravesen Designs??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2006, 02:41 PM   #11
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seve
I have heard a few of Troels' creations and overall I really like the general signature/sound they present.

I have heard the following models:

Proac 2.5 and 2.95.
SP95 (only heard shortly)
Point75A -> Point75I (My present speaker build by TG)
Acapella SE
PMS
And perhaps a few more for a short periode.

I really like all of the above speakers and you can do a lot worse, though if I was to build a speaker today I would probably pick the PMS.......Though I am not sure I could ever sell the Point75I

Martin
How do you like the PMS sound? If I had the mean, this is the one I would try. It's amazing that the driver/xover cost of this project is about only 500 usd but the sound belongs to the high end.
Old 24th September 2006, 07:02 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andy2

How do you like the PMS sound? If I had the mean, this is the one I would try. It's amazing that the driver/xover cost of this project is about only 500 usd but the sound belongs to the high end.

What I really like about the PMS is how well the drivers are integrated and how it interacts with the room. I also really like the speed and transient. Bass is good, but some might want deeper and bigger bass - not me. The highs are good, but I have heard better drivers. You might ask Troels if the other tweeters he has tried is better.

Also I think Troels will be more than happy answering you questions you might have about the PMS

Martin
Old 25th September 2006, 01:49 AM   #13
kwng11 is offline kwng11  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

actually, I wonder if anyone has the experiment with troels' SS15W/8530K00 + scan tweeter.

I am now asking around this forum, to find the best options of network (especially for the woofer) for my current seas TAFC/G H883 + 8530K00.

I wonder if the series network is better in the design
Old 25th September 2006, 05:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks for everyone's responses so far...

It sounds like a lot of people really like the PMS...

A comment I saw here and a couple other places on the net say the bass is good but not terribly low...

Now, I am not a bass head by any means, but I do like low and tight bass...

Should I assume I will need to build an accompaning subwoofer for many of these speakers???

What are others' experiences with these types of 3-ways and low end bass???

Again, I am not talking earth shattering - vibrate pictures off the walls, but I don't want to think that I am missing something from the music...

Also, any other recommendations on non-diy amps and pre-amps???

Thanks again, this has been a wonderful learning experience so far...

Mark
Old 25th September 2006, 05:55 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quick Question:

A couple people have mentioned the Stradivari clone... Is this the same as the PMS (Poor Man's Strad) or are these two different designs???

If they are different, where is the Stradivari clone design??? I cannot seem to find it on his site... I could be obviously blind though...

Thanks,
Mark
Old 25th September 2006, 06:31 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mlammert
Quick Question:

A couple people have mentioned the Stradivari clone... Is this the same as the PMS (Poor Man's Strad) or are these two different designs???

If they are different, where is the Stradivari clone design??? I cannot seem to find it on his site... I could be obviously blind though...

Thanks,
Mark
The Stradivari clone is the PMS but with SEAS drivers. But you could say the PMS is also the Stradivari clone.
Old 25th September 2006, 06:33 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's responses so far...

It sounds like a lot of people really like the PMS...

A comment I saw here and a couple other places on the net say the bass is good but not terribly low...

Now, I am not a bass head by any means, but I do like low and tight bass...

Should I assume I will need to build an accompaning subwoofer for many of these speakers???

What are others' experiences with these types of 3-ways and low end bass???

Again, I am not talking earth shattering - vibrate pictures off the walls, but I don't want to think that I am missing something from the music...

Also, any other recommendations on non-diy amps and pre-amps???

Thanks again, this has been a wonderful learning experience so far...

Mark
I personally have not heard the PMS so I can't comment on it, but the other two designs I did (TJL, AcapellaSe) all have very good and low bass. Besides, his voicing tends to be a bit on the laid back, warm side so the illusion of having low bass is even greater.
Old 25th September 2006, 06:33 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Excellent... Thanks for the insight...

Mark
Old 25th September 2006, 08:14 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Anybody have any experience with the Zahra???

With everyone's great feedback, I have been searching the net for more comments on Troels' designs...

I have found some stuff on a lot of his designs mentioned here, but I cannot find anything at all on the Zahra design...

Just curious...

Thanks again for all the great comments and feedback!!!

Mark
Old 25th September 2006, 08:19 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Excellent... Thanks for the insight...

Mark
By the way, if you could afford it, go for the SEAS magnesium drivers. They have better bass with much better bass definition than paper cone. They also do a very nice job of reproducing the human voice. Only drawback of the mag. drivers is that they may not have the speed compared to the paper cone.

Here is an good article on the SEAS drivers:
http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Pegasus/Pegasus.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!