Energy 22 Ref Con Restoration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its difficult to say why documented values are different like this, but it could be related to the fact that the Conny's had to have tighter tolerances across the frequency range. The larger valued inductors in the 22 Pro would correspond to a deeper sag in the 2k range, which gave the 22's that "neutral" sound quality.

Another more secondary plan behind the Conny was to clean up the pronounced "tubby" bass the other models produced.

Mark

Hi. I am new to the forum and joined up due to this thread. I am a big fan of the Energy 22 speakers. I have a few pairs of the Pro 22 Reference. I completely rebuilt the crossovers in one pair due to their age using top of the line components and couldn't believe the improvement. I just had a pair of spare damaged tweeters rebuilt by Christopher at $160 Can each and am waiting for them to be sent back. The tweeters already sound great but I couldn't resist the idea that they could possibly sound better. I'll report back with my observations.

I too am considering a Reference Connoisseur clone project and would luv to hear from anyone with any information pertaining to dimensions and construction details.
Thanks for all the information already shared.

Marc

Hi Mikeandmar,
Installed the rebuilt tweeters today from ABI. I like. Too soon to say yet but my first impressions are vocals seem a little tighter and a little less grainy than the original pair. Seem a little thinned down, not quite as bright as the old ones, I'm thinking this is an improvement. Also I can put you in touch with a guy who might have a couple tweeters for sale.

Jello guys, nice thread BTW.
Question: Wich model has better sound? How do you rate them compared to What is being made right now?

i've heard Ref22 Pro and was Very impressed. They Lack deep bass but they sure are hard to saturate in mid-low mid and hi freq.

Waiting for response.....Planing to change My Canton Speakers.....

Marc

Hi Mikeandmar,
Installed the rebuilt tweeters today from ABI. I like. Too soon to say yet but my first impressions are vocals seem a little tighter and a little less grainy than the original pair. Seem a little thinned down, not quite as bright as the old ones, I'm thinking this is an improvement. Also I can put you in touch with a guy who might have a couple tweeters for sale.

Good to hear you have them installed...mine were a little dark sounding and dull when i shipped them (still waiting)...also one dome was pulled out with a pin at one time. Yours might need a little break in time (?) I'd be interested in those spare tweets also if he still has them.

to trd1587 the Energy 22 Pro Monitors and the Energy 22 Reference monitors were basically the same speaker but the Reference was front ported and the Pro's rear ported...also the Reference was built with tighter or stricter tolerances than the Pro's. Both models required separate stands. Then there were the Energy 22 Reference Connoisseurs that had larger cabinets with integral stands and a different crossover that gave it a slightly different more refined voice...The bass response of the connoisseurs was quite a bit deeper and very accurate. Hope that helps.

to trd1587 the Energy 22 Pro Monitors and the Energy 22 Reference monitors were basically the same speaker but the Reference was front ported and the Pro's rear ported...also the Reference was built with tighter or stricter tolerances than the Pro's. Both models required separate stands. Then there were the Energy 22 Reference Connoisseurs that had larger cabinets with integral stands and a different crossover that gave it a slightly different more refined voice...The bass response of the connoisseurs was quite a bit deeper and very accurate. Hope that helps.

Well, Thanks for the input!.
I have Canton Speakers right now wich are doing a very good job. The problem is they drive too much bass in my basement. My wife is getting very sensitive. Seems like my listening room is too small!!!!! I'm planning on getting a used pair of 22's and buying a Velo sub, A sub wich can be turned on when the wife is going out with the kids..............

So From What I Can understand, Pro 22's should do the job.

Regards

Marc

When you heard the 22's before were they in a small room? you mentioned they lacked bass. Cant imagine a pair of 22 Pro's lacking in bass in a small room. If you do find a pair make sure they get good clean power, tweeters are crossed over quite low (1800 hz) and if the the tweeters are original and haven't been rebuilt yet then that's even more reason to baby them as the ferrofluid has most likely dried up by now and the voice coil wont get sufficient cooling and proper damping. I heard the wire is very thin in the voice coil.

I've been researching the x-over schematics provided in this post and must admit I am a little confused. Although I am no electronic technician they seem to be the same schematic albiet drawn out differently. Supposedly the x-over for the connoisseur is more elaborate but I can't see there being any difference. For example, I was provided a picture of a x-over mounted inside a connoisseur speaker and upon close inspection it's components had the same values as the ones in my ref and pro? Can anyone clarify this for me, I am in the process of a conn clone project and I need to get my head around this. Thanks muchly guys, Vintners.

Hello guys, newbie

How are you all out there, enjoying the snow yet, nope...I have a question and hoped someone here would have the answer, I recently purchased a beautiful pair of piano black Energy Ref 22 Conn's...Beautiful speakers I must say..The gentlemen before me replaced all the components in the crossover and had ABI in Halifax redo the tweeters...The question I have is, I find one speaker always has more mid range ( maybe to much ) then the other..After purchasing from this individual, we tested a bunch of things and realized the one certain sound was following the tweeter...Taking it out of one and placing in the other...We sent them back to Halifax to make certain they were rebuilt correctly and they passed the sweep test but ABI tech did rebuild one of them as the diaphram was a little loose..Nice of them to do this for free...
Now my question..The only thing I have noticed that is different between the two crossovers is that one crossover he had the coils solder on opposite then the other crossover in the other speaker...Both of the coils as a matter of fact...Does anyone have an answer to this...Is there orientation to these coils...?????

Unless you were to produce a certain Magnetic field with DC Current orientation would be important. In you case one way or the other is not important.

Other components have à +/-.

One thing you can do is to measure each one's Impedance and resistance.

Regards

MArc

This is my first forum post--joined just for the Energy 22 thread.

This is a little off topic, but since this is an active 22 thread, thought it would be OK to jump in here.

I'm looking for a pair right now, and just missed what looked to be a pretty nice pair on ebay for $125(!!!). I heard what was likely the Pro Monitor version (rear port--separate stand) in the mid 80's, and to this day, don't know it I've heard a system as good. They were outside my price range at the time, especially with the NAIM pre and amp with Linn table they had in the system. I've wanted a pair of these for almost 25 years, and after reading some of these forum posts, realize they appear to MAYBE be as good as remembered.

A couple questions for you 22 experts:

What is a reasonable price currently for a pair in good, but original, condition?

Will I likely be disappointed or enamored when I put them next to my Paradigm 9seMk3's for an A/B, a more modern speaker of similar design? (Both 2-ways, similar woofer size, cabinet volume, ported, etc..)

125 bucks is a steal for those Pro 22's there were a few pairs available here in Canada at canuckaudiomart. As for the Paradigm comparison the 22's should be better as the tweeter is in a different league from the Paradigm or Vifa tweeter used in the 9se

Id say 250 is a fair price for a decent pair of working Pro 22's...the price can vary a lot depending on condition and whether or not the tweeters have been properly rebuilt by ABI Tech. I sent a working pair of tweeters away that sounded better after they came back, the tweeters will still work after the ferrofluid dries out but their sound changes when this happens...and also loose the cooling properties of the ferrofluid which is why they burn out so easily. Its well worth it to rebuild because you cannot in my opinion buy a better pair of tweeters for the $320 is cost to rebuild them.

Last edited:
125 bucks is a steal for those Pro 22's there were a few pairs available here in Canada at canuckaudiomart. As for the Paradigm comparison the 22's should be better as the tweeter is in a different league from the Paradigm or Vifa tweeter used in the 9se

Id say 250 is a fair price for a decent pair of working Pro 22's...the price can vary a lot depending on condition and whether or not the tweeters have been properly rebuilt by ABI Tech. I sent a working pair of tweeters away that sounded better after they came back, the tweeters will still work after the ferrofluid dries out but their sound changes when this happens...and also loose the cooling properties of the ferrofluid which is why they burn out so easily. Its well worth it to rebuild because you cannot in my opinion buy a better pair of tweeters for the $320 is cost to rebuild them.

This really makes me wonder if I should rebuild the original tweeters in the Ref Conns just scored? My thought was to just run them as is, assuming the sound would be the same, just with better cooling properties and thus power handling. It seems that is not the case. Guess I could always get the second pair of 22's with rebuilt tweeters (they were factory rebuilds--same as what ABI does???) and face them off. The second pair is Pro Monitors, but I'd think the main difference in sound would be on the low end, so the tweeter comparison would be valid?

The 22's were clearly superior to the 9se's when I did an A/B last night. Not that the 9se's are not pretty good, but the 22's were better across the board. The bass on the 9se's was somewhat undefined compared to the 22's. I expected a better performance from the 22's on the higher frequencies, but the superior bass definition was maybe the biggest surprise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.