Small Subwoofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you mean the subs on Creative Labs computer speakers?

I don't think they are very special at all. I've found that when I turn them up they stop producing good bass and just start making farting sounds.

Small drivers do not go as low as other types of subwoofers, but in many cases one does see tighter response from the drivers which are smaller and can move faster. It also depends heavily on the enclosure.

One example of a low-frequency unit that uses small woofers is the Bose Acoustimass. (I know Bose is not highly-regarded at all but it's just an example, OK?) The older Acoustimass modules that used an 8th-order Bandpass enclosure had very flabby bass. On the other hand, the ones they distribute with the Lifestyle 28 and 35 have a sort of Transmission Line enclosure and their bass is a lot more tight and better-defined. They also use higher-excursion woofers so they can move enough air to go lower than previous Acoustimass modules.

It's a combination of all three factors really. New drivers are beinging designed to have larger Xmax figures, most computer subs use bandpass boxes to boost efficiency and I'm sure that all use equalisation too.

The problem is that a small driver in a small box will never play deep bass loudly - Hoffman's iron law sees to that. Just try increasing the volume and you'll soon hear it distorting as the driver runs out of excursion (assuming the chuffing from the bandpass port doesn't become objectionable first!).

Nice one,
David.

Though I was surprised when I went to the Best Buy and started turning up the volume on their Lifestyle 28 system. I would have expected a Bose system to lose control of its BMs at those high volumes (customers passing by were wondering what the heck I was doing) but the bass module and speakers still kept playing the same-quality sound even at very high volumes. Certainly uncharacteristic for an Acoustimass system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.