diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   My first "real" DIY speaker project (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/8673-my-first-real-diy-speaker-project.html)

drfrink24 15th December 2002 01:03 AM

My first "real" DIY speaker project

2 Attachment(s)
My first "real" DIY speaker project, actually, one of my first "real" woodworking projects besides a simple sealed subwoofer.

They are basically Adire audio's KIT281. I still need to clean up the edges, stain them, and put on some small pillar/bases I designed (yeah, I know, mounting the speakers/hardware too!)

I decided to vent them out the back. I also ordered the wrong sized port (4"), so hopefully, a 90 degree bend in the port tube won't effect the sound too much (needed to fit 15.57" in a 14" deep box!).

I used plastic laminate (formica) all around, with red oak veneer.

I also entered the world of biscuit joining, for the first time ever (I've heard they are better for cabinets than screws). Besides to mount the port, it's all biscuits and glue. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have used so many freakin' biscuits, since gluing up even 2 sides is a frantic experience. The biscuits expand really quick, making your work setup really fast. Good thing I bought about 12 clamps, otherwise, I'd have ALOT of scrap 3/4 MDF...

If you work with formica, watch the edges! I've got 2 nice cuts from running my hand down them, even after cleaning them up with some steel wool.

I'll post again when I have the completed pics. I don't know what the heck those spots are in the image, but, I'll be sure to get better ones when they're complete.

Cheers.

:D

drfrink24 15th December 2002 05:57 AM

I tried to post some better pics, but the server keeps saying it exceeds the 100K maximum.

The file I am trying to attach is 44K. Maybe it adds up the total based on my userid?

fcel 15th December 2002 06:14 AM

Try posting the pictures without clicking "preview". It might work.

drfrink24 15th December 2002 06:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Lets try this again:

drfrink24 15th December 2002 06:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Closeup:

peranders 15th December 2002 08:21 AM

I know the feeling! I made my first speaker when I was 12. My second one, a horn, when I was 15. Check here, here and here if you are curiuos.

Good luck with your projoect, looks nice

drfrink24 9th February 2003 09:30 PM

Update

2 Attachment(s)
Finished! The stain turned ok OK. I'm still breaking them in, but, from my early listening, they are really starting to blossom.

drfrink24 9th February 2003 09:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And the back:

Kermit 9th February 2003 10:39 PM

Very nice!
Where does one get this formica? And how is it to work with? Is it self adhesive or do you use glue?

planet10 10th February 2003 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kermit
Where does one get this formica? And how is it to work with? Is it self adhesive or do you use glue?
Formica is actually a brand name... plastic laminate would be a generic name. Usually it is glued on with contact cement.

dave