bose 901 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2006, 10:10 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default one in nine = bad?

" ... My quandry ...was how can any one speaker in a set of nine sound wrong, yet test right? ..."

Well, it could have gotten wet and the cone lost all of its integrity ...

" ... Anyway, it's the series/parralel problem, (I'm pretty sure) ..."

If both boxes are wired up the same, then it might just be the one bad driver ... " and I can use the good sounding box... to trace what might have gone sour in the other box ... " ... As you noted ...

Willitwork: " ... Back in college we had 4 901's in the main student hall and these were used both for PA purpose ... These speakers came with a dedicated 3-unit amp system which consisted of a preamp, EQ and power amp. The EQ had an input for preamp and an output to the power amp and as far as I remember the EQ's sole purpose was to attenuate bass response below 50Hz in an effort to deal with the LF resonance most Bose products are plagued with ... In my opinion at the time, these speakers did not sound very good for music but were okay for PA. ... "

Yes, the 901s make a great PA for a small to medioum sized hall. Rugged enough to take some abuse, good enough sound to play a trio or quartet acoustic band & vocals .... electrified bands are another matter entirely = 901s are rather enemic for this ... (that Bose EQ adds some other tweaks to the response curve to "tame" the boxes ... and using it for any other purpose than taming 901s for modest sound re-enforcement is a waste of resources.)

Old 18th September 2006, 01:48 AM   #12
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Found something about the drivers:

Quote:

On The Inside:

The nine 4 1/2" drivers differ between Series II and later models. The first two series have heavy magnets and a four bolt basket with h.d. voice coils. Series III and up offer a three bolt design with helical voice coils. Do not replace a Series I or II driver with a Series III through VI driver. Foam surrounds are used on Series III through VI while cloth surrounds are used on Series I & II.
Old 18th September 2006, 11:43 PM   #13
jerishi is offline jerishi  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey, Thanks!...I was wondering if I'd found some sort of anomaly...re: 4 hole drivers in a bose box ....with a cloth surround...that (obviously) have been around! ...more than a block or two! (read , beat up in a MAJOR way)..., (and they still work!...kind of) I'd heard SO many jokes/ bad press about "bose". I'd never actually seen a pair. I'd thought maybe someone before me had changed drivers (perhaps to another inexpensive full range 4"..like pioneer 4"?)and then lost interest?(Was hoping I'd found someone elses' unfinished project) I see now that his genious , if that's what it is...is an ability to use simply found products...(4" drivers) in a box that is wired series/parrallel... and THEN sell it to (apparently) a lot of people. By the way, I don't think they sound that bad...even with one speaker in one box...either A.W.O.L.... or (more likely) not wired in right sequence. I've not had time to dismantle 'good' box to compare.He certainly spent some money in filling boxes with fibreglas stuffing.. and sealing same using more than one variety of caulk/ glue. (my boxes must be early sealed ones)... and trust me , tight as a mummys tomb, is only a slight exaggeration. Caulk and glue everywhere.
Old 19th September 2006, 02:34 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Yeap ...

Quote:
Originally posted by FastEddy
Sometimes it is informative to use a meter for DC resistance measurement, especially on a completed box / driver / crossover assembly === ya don' wanna kill your amp with a 0.05 Ohm load, right?
Yeah, but usually your not even at that point unless something is wrong in the first place, i.e. no output from speaker or channel. Metering is good when you suspect a bad channel...I wouldn't want to try a perfectly good speaker on a suspected bad output from an amp......ever again...
Old 10th December 2006, 11:41 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
goulish bose pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bose_stack.jpg (37.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 10th December 2006, 11:42 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cab_before.jpg (21.5 KB, 95 views)
Old 10th December 2006, 11:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Maybe something here?
I know nothing about these guys, just stumbled past them in my search...
http://www.oaktreeent.com/Bose_Speaker_Parts.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!