Xover design help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2002, 05:34 PM   #1
Kram is offline Kram  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cool Xover design help

Hello all,

I need help in designing a xover for an Audax AP210ZO with an audax TM025f1 in a 0.666cubic feet box. The box will be ported as well which should apparantly be between 11in and 13in long.

Any help and advice appreciated.
Kram
Old 14th December 2002, 10:47 PM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

I see you are ready to do the crossover. I've been looking all over the web for the crossover for a schematic for that AP210ZO and any tweeter, and so far no luck. I'll be glad to help you come up with a home brewed one, but it is better if a schematic for a proven system is found and used.

Audax is a popular brand for speaker manufacturers. There are speakers that use the AP210Z0 and some tweeter, I guarantee it.
Old 15th December 2002, 01:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Guys, I suggest that you measure your drivers with speakerworkshop and then build the crossover from these values.

Do you have an impedance curve?
Old 15th December 2002, 08:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Kelticwizard and everyone else,

I have tried a couple of times to get the frequency response graphs for the woofer and tweeter from the audax web site but its not working, i keep getting either an error message or a server not found page.

Kram
Old 15th December 2002, 08:36 PM   #5
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default No Prooooblem!

I remember how I got there...clicked on new polymer chasis drivers then scrolled down to woofers and voila!

http://www.audax.com/products/details/AP210Z0.shtml

Audax has great sound and a great price, love 'em...then again, haven't heard anything else. What will the speaker be used for? I'd recommend a first order x-over as low as you can go...mid-range beaming. My X-0 point was 4000Hz, obviously not as low as I could go but, for this reason, I wanted to feel the impact of those pianos and hear the timbre of as many instruments from my Audax driver...Well, it is fine with me, may not be for you. Good luck!
Old 15th December 2002, 08:44 PM   #6
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

I tried the Audax site and it seems to be temporarily down as well. Anyway, the frequency response chart for the AP210ZO woofer is at the original thread, here:
low on cash, need advice on driver selection etc. please.
Old 16th December 2002, 12:10 AM   #7
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Audax site still down, except fothe link on the polymer drivers.

Not to worry. I went to the good folks at Madisound, then clicked "catalog", scrolled down to "Audax", where I downloaded Audax's entire catalog in pdf. format. It was 2.5 MB.
www.madisound.com

Here is the info and chart on the TMO25F1. The blue printing for the ohms was done by myself. I labelled it to conform to the labelling on the other charts of Audax tweeters. Apparently, Audax just accidentallly left the labels off when they did the graphics for that one particular tweeter.

Note: The Fs of the tweeter is listed as 1090 Hz. the chart appears to be a little off-it shows it as being around 1300 Hz!
Attached Images
File Type: gif audax tmo25f1.gif (17.5 KB, 742 views)
Old 16th December 2002, 12:17 AM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Might as well re-post the woofer for this thread while we are at it. Here is the chart for the Audax AP210ZO.

I personally think a notch filter at 2800-combined with the woofer's natural rolloff-would be the best way to cross this woofer over at 2000 Hz, but any suggestions from the rest of the forum would be indeed welcome.

Here are the Thiele-Small numbers for the AP210ZO:

Fs = 29 Hz
Vas = 92 liters
Qes = 0.36
Qms = 3.48
Qts = 0.32
BL = 8.1
Re = 5.3
Le = 1 mH
Xmax = + or - 2.6mm
S = 227 sq. cm
SPL = 89.5 dB
Attached Images
File Type: gif audax ap210z0 response curve.gif (6.9 KB, 706 views)
Old 16th December 2002, 01:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think this woofer is not suited for this tweeter. 2000Hz is the limit and in practical (with measurements) this limit is probably lower. Do not forget an impedance compensation for the woofer.
Old 16th December 2002, 05:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I was glad to see that it was not just my PC that couldnt get to the audax responce curves. Thanks to kelticwizard (yet again) for posting the curves on the forum too. A notch filter you say, what is one of those?

François seems to think that this tweeter and woofer combination isnt a good one. Is he right?

For those of you not familiar with this project you could go here,
low on cash, need advice on driver selection etc. please. and read up on what im doing.

I would also like to point out that these speakers are not supposed to be top of the range hifi cost an arm and a leg set up. Just something pleasent and workable but obviously I dont want them to sound like a bag of rusty nails.

thanks for your time.
Kram.

Hide this!Advertise here!