Pulsating spheres

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bet that they don't sound so great. Each "sphere" is 10cm in diameter, and has 11(!) drivers in it. So these would have to be probably very tiny drivers like those found in laptops (no bass at all). It's typical of JVC, or any other large consumer electronics company, to take a good idea and trash it.

If I used this idea, I would use something like Seas 17cm coax drivers in a much larger "sphere". That would be much nicer.

I must admit, dodecahedral speakers rank fairly high on the cool scale for basic shapes, but they're nothing new in the audio world.

Here's a picture of my Design Acoustics D-12s:
1156095886_DAs.jpg

Those were built in 1973, hence the groovy blue. They're a fair bit larger than the other units mentioned being 2' in diameter. The solution George Sioles (the designer) took to solve the bass problem was to build these as three-ways, with a 10" long-throw CTS woofer (units were specially chosen for a Fs of 10Hz) pointing down in a ported arrangement.

With dodecahedrons, as with most omnidirectionals, you end up listening to the room, which can be good or bad.

- JP

kvholio said:
Not a pulsating sphere in the true sense of the word,
but a marvellous piece of engineering:

What's marvellous about it? - nothing I can see.
Good polar response is the hallmark of any coaxial, and people have been making coaxials since at least the 1930's. Even the concentric ring thing has been done before, numerous times.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.