Extremis Usher project prelim pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LukasLouw said:
Some pics of a little speaker project using the Adire Audio Extremis woofer and Usher 9950C-015 tweeter.
Lukas

Can you speak a little about the MDF ring inside the cabinet? The active crossover looks modular? Who makes it? Kit? Are you using the active crossover to find optimum crossover or will you bi-amplify and continue using the active filter?

Nice work! :cheers:

Re: Re: Extremis Usher project prelim pics

Willitwork said:
How does this "little" project sound?

Nice!

It holds it's own against my 3 way Dynaudios with sub (4 way active), so far I'm very happy with the sound. The speakers ARE brutal though - not so good recordings sound well, bad, while good recordings sound excellent...

TomWaits said:

Can you speak a little about the MDF ring inside the cabinet? The active crossover looks modular? Who makes it? Kit? Are you using the active crossover to find optimum crossover or will you bi-amplify and continue using the active filter?

The ring supports the inside end of the port.

The crossover is 48 dB/octave at 2 KHz, and I used a general purpose PCB I've designed. Here's a link to the schematic and gerber files :
http://home.comcast.net/~lukaslouw/audio/gp-xover\GP1.htm

I hope to flesh out the info on the speaker site over the weekend.....

Lukas

Re: Re: Extremis Usher project prelim pics

TomWaits said:

The speakers will use active crossover at the end of the day, I'm not yet masochistic enough to try and design an 8th order passive, with time delay on the tweeter.

At this point I'm considering using a D2Audio XS100-8 module for crossover, EQ & delay, with amplification of course. It will only do 4th order high/lowpass out of the box, but I can be set it for 8th order, with some finagling. The question now is cost for a 2nd D2 eval unit, as I want to keep the one I have for general speaker development usage...

Lukas

TomWaits said:

I don't understand what I'm looking at in the last two photo images at the bottom? :xeye:

The 2nd last pic shows the bottom & top of the grilles. The frames were each made out of 1/4" copper rod bent in egg shapes, the top oners smaller than the bottom ones, They were joined by brazing #12 solid copper pices of wire between teh top/bottoms, and then of course covered with black grille cloth.

Last pic shows a speaker with grille mounted.

I still have to add a LOT of text to the site.

Lukas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.