Sound treatment with OC 703

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope it's ok to post this in this forum, because I couldn't find a more suitable one.

I just purchased a box of OC 703 2" fiberglass, which contains 12 sheets of 2x4 fiberglass. I have an audio room in the basement which measures 11x17x7. I was wondering what you guys feel is the best design to use for these 703 panels in regards to ease of making and performance? I was thinking of just taking 2" wide boards and making a simple frame out of them. Then use ~ 8" x 8" triangles of peg board in the corners, on the back, and placing the 703 in the frame. Then I was going to wrap the front to back in some sort of fabric to finish it off. Does this sound like a good plan?

I've also read that placing them out from the walls aids in absorbing the bass. Is this so? If it is, how far away from the walls do they need to be to have an effect? My room is small so I don't think I could have them any further than 6" out from the walls, which I hope is enough.

Alas, any ideas for mounting them away from the walls so they don't touch them?

Thanks!

Hi,

whether they are a good idea or not depends on what you are
trying to do, and the variation of delay time within your room.

http://www.pispeakers.com/ssdm_99.pdf read chapter 5.

Also note you can make hemholtz absorbers.

Simply put a box with width and hieght and not much depth,
with the front made from peg board and filled with fibreglass.
The number of holes exposed can be varied by glueing paper
strips onto the pegboard.

I made a whole half octave series of these for a studio room.
2" depth+all holes, 2" depth + 1/2 holes, 2" depth + 1/4 holes,
4" depth+1/4 holes, 4" depth+1/8 holes and 8" depth+1/8 holes.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.