Cone Patch/Repair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I've got a 12" Passive Radiator out of a KLH AV55 Tower that has a
light tear about an inch in length, But, It's very hard to spot from the front.
From the back, It look's like a crease until you look up close.

The cone is a "Polymer Composite" material with a treated front and untreated back.

I need some advice on what i should use to patch it.
I was hoping to not have anything bleed through, And not be visible from the front... if possible.

I also cannot adjust the mass on these radiators, As it is not available on these.

Any Help, Information and Advice appreciated.
Thanks! :)

a quick reply,but...

Hi Aesthetikz,
I had a small tear in a rubber surround on a audax fibre glass cone.I repaired it with a dab of PVA on my finger and worked a repair job from the rear of the surround. From the front the repair was invisible. I didn't percieve any difference in sound and I figured the driver knackered anyway, adding glue gots to be better than a tear. Especially as you consider leaking air is a bad thing, PVA being flexible and dries clear,did the job a treat.
I feel for you though,its as bad as kids doing the dustcovers(Fetch Your Hoover!!), looks the same if you can repair it but your heart tells you its ******.
Cheers Mikee55:devilr:

PVA might work on a foam surround - depends on the speaker and enclosure a bit. If there are high pressures and large cone excursions involved it may not last. If it's damaged anyway you have nothing to lose. I'd recommend new surrounds from Simply Speakers - cheap and very easy to install. Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.