Big open baffle project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All open baffle expert, welcome

I have a dream : build a big 3way open bafle system

Why 3 way? because from experience, it's more difficult to crossover in the 100-5000Hz region.

- Bass-100Hz : 2 or 4 15" in lml or llmll configuration

- 100-5000Hz : one 7" to 10"

- Tweeter or coax with medium

On something like 50cm (20") wide panel.

Active filter with eq for bassloss and eventualy for medium (ideally not but with a 50cm wide baffle, I think it's difficult for the medium to reach 100Hz, but maybe with a high Qts....)

But which driver to use, what's for you the best unit for each frequency band?

And for the medium, I don't like too much the bicone fullrange for a directivity question, but do you think a coax can do a very good job in this configuration???

All is open, just put your opinion....

Thanks
Hugues

Hugues,
IMHO you shouldn´t cling to a 100 Hz crossover frequency that much. If you x-over at 200-300 Hz, a 50 cm baffle will easily be large enough to stay above the baffle step for the mid driver. So no eq needed there.
The Jordan JX 92S would probably be an excellent candidate for medium/high duties.

I don´t see any advantage in a "lml or llmll configuration". llm would be my choice for this application everyday. Keeping the mid driver at the upper edge of the baffle would allow for the smoothest frequency response.

Rudolf

Web.jpg

Here is a quad amped (horn loaded below 50 cycles) open baffle with 21" woofers, JBL 2123J mids and Heil air motion transformer treble.

I have since replaced the treble with Beyma CP 380M compression drivers loaded in 18 sound elipsiod horns

Old Thread-

What about using 2 or 4 Eminence Alpha15???? After simulation on thorsten excel sheet, it seems it not need EQ for a response to about 35Hz (-3dB) on a 600mm baffle for a sensitivity around 92 dB so with two 95dB, Four : 98dB......

Suggestions???

Attachments

• graph.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 125
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Salut Hugues
A friend of mine in California builds O.B. projects often, and has for 20 years.

His latest project was a big one. 2 Eminence 18" drivers per side for the lows, the Eminence Beta 12LTA fullrange for the mid and ScanSpeak 8200 for the tweeter. (Great tweeter, but the price has gone way up :( )
All passive filters for everything. Only needs about 100 watt amp to play really loud.

I have not yet head them, but they broke hearts and scared the guys at the last Northern California DIY speaker meet.

I can ask for details if you are interested.

MuaDibb said:
Look at the Bastanis website, this is similar to what you are looking at. From what I have researched people seem to think it is a modified Eminence Beta LT which runs to about 10,000Hz where it naturally rolls off and gets picked up by the tweet. It sits on top of a sub and looks quite nice. I have thought of building something similar.

www.bastanis.com
www.baulsaudio.com

For a Bastanis-like 100dB thing I could also imagine a 12" Beyma. A person in a German forum operated the whizzer out and found the sharp PA-sound was gone.

Hugues,

a high Qts will give more bass, yes. But Qts as high as 1,26 seems indicative of a rather cheap (=poor?) driver. Since your are prepared to filter actively with eq for bassloss, I would recommend to stay with a driver Qts<0,8.

BTW, smaller magnet usually means higher Qts, but less control of the amplifier on the cone. That probably leads to a unsufficiently subdued resonance at fr, which you don´t want to have.

Do yourself a favour and look more for a sturdy basket and a properly vented motor than for a high Qts. And of course - Xmax is determening how loud you can go. ;)

Rudolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.