Box size help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I've used a few box size calculators from the Net, but I keep getting different Volume sized from each calculator?? Can someone have a go and see what you come up with. My Bass driver is a Seas 10" CA25RE4X/DC. Vas=187.9, Qms=3.63, Qes=0.34, Qtc=.31, Free air resonance=25Hz,
This will be a vented box, Vent details??
Thanks for your help.

this is straight from winisd pro

79.65ltr
tuned to 31hz
port - 10cm diameter 23.5 long

changing things like volume and port tuning alter the response.

Suggest you download a copy and play with it yourself.
Dont forget to add the 'room gain' which I think is about 6db/oct.
This will also depend of size of room etc.

Attachments

• seas.jpg
    seas.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 221
A design with a 98 litre box tuned to 24 Hz gives this response:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The blue curve includes the baffle step for a 30x60 cm baffle, the red ignores it. The box is filled to 40% with ideal isothermailsing material (ie apparent box volume is 113 litres).

The reason that you get different box volumes from different softwares is that there isn't one "correct" way to do it. There are only more or less reasonable ways.

Once again thanks for all your replys,
I downloaded WinISD 0.50a7, and got these figures: Box Vol 79.65, Tuning f 30.94Hz, Vent Dia 10.2cm, Vent length 24.6 cm,
slighty diff than your? Maybe3 because Diff Version of WinISD?
Another Quest? If I make the Box Vol larger, say, 100Litres, will this give me a better bass responce? or Lower Tuning frequency, or am I on the wrong track here?

ocaukrell said:
The calculated volume will NOT include speaker and port volumes.
So if it says a 10ltr box, and the driver is 2ltr, port 3ltr, bracing 2ltr, then you need to design a box of 10+2+3+2 = 17ltrs.

Anyone know a quick&dirty way of estimating speaker volume, given only its diameter and depth? That's usually all you get from a data sheet.

thanks

Volume of a cylinder.

Pi * r^2 * h

Pi is the mathmatical constant approximately equal to 3.141592654
r is the radius of the base
h is the height of the cylinder.

Although I suspect with a little looking you should be able to find the Vd (volume of driver) without to much effort.

EDIT
Yup, quick google says Vd is 3 ltr (assuming your still talking about the Seas CA25)

ocaukrell said:
Volume of a cylinder.

Pi * r^2 * h

Pi is the mathmatical constant approximately equal to 3.141592654
r is the radius of the base
h is the height of the cylinder.

Although I suspect with a little looking you should be able to find the Vd (volume of driver) without to much effort.

EDIT
Yup, quick google says Vd is 3 ltr (assuming your still talking about the Seas CA25)

Cheers for the formula.

I wasn't talking about the Seas driver - apologies if this is a threadjack - it's actually an Eminence 15" driver I'm looking at.

Vd is indeed in the published TS, but I don't think it's the number I need; Vd is defined by Eminence as 'Peak Diaphragm Displacement Volume' and is half a litre for the Kappa Pro 15.

Guess I'll need to buy one and lower it into a bath and shout 'Eureka!'

cheers

Chris

What about the Port Volume?? after all its only a hollow cylinder, do you calculate the the whole cylinder volume or do you calculate the volume that the walls of the port tale up and not the volume in the port, after all its only empty air in the port. I hope I made my self clear?

Hi all,

What normally I do - I calculate the volume of a loudspeaker driver by using 'volume of a cone', based on the dimensions of the driver cone. Then I add the volume of the magnet structure using 'volume of a cylinder' - this gives the approximate volume of the whole driver, though it skips whatever volume the frame might take up...

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.