Choosing drivers. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2006, 10:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Choosing drivers.

I want to build a 1st set of speakers. I want something that I will be happy with, and not something that I would quickly out grow. The speakers will be placed in a gym, so high end quality isn't as important, but at the same time, I don't just want to order some cheap pionner drivers. I know what they sound like and I want more then that.

I am looking at 4ohms drivers because they will be driven by a sonic impact t amp. I will have about 10 usefull watts with 4ohm speakers.

My overall goal was to pick out two affordable drivers that are not low class. The catch is, they need to be some what effecent because I don't have a lot of power to work with.

For a tweeter, I came up with this, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=264-834

For a woofer, I came up with this, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-302

I'd like to hear any thoughts about the drivers I'm looking at. Or, if you can think of something better (close to the same price range), please post something else or let me know if I am on the right track.
Old 11th September 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The drivers you pointed out are for making a bookshelf speaker capable of filling a 100 square foot room. You have said you wanted to use them in a gym. Methinks we had better rethink this or give us a better idea what you are doing with these speakers. ie: are they for music?

What is your budget?

How large can the cabinets be?

Have you considered an efficient full range, PA or even coaxial?

Is the gym humid?

How often will they be moved around?
Old 12th September 2006, 12:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
The drivers you pointed out are for making a bookshelf speaker capable of filling a 100 square foot room. You have said you wanted to use them in a gym. Methinks we had better rethink this or give us a better idea what you are doing with these speakers. ie: are they for music?

What is your budget?

How large can the cabinets be?

Have you considered an efficient full range, PA or even coaxial?

Is the gym humid?

How often will they be moved around?
The gym is not humid, they won't be moved around once set up. The cabinet space isn't really that important. I realize that they are only bookshelf speakers, but right now, I only have bookshelf speakers, but they are rated 90db and are 8ohm (so I'm only getting about 5 real usable watts. I want them moved to the bedroom and I want something a little more effecent for the gym. They will be used for music only and I don't need to jam. I just want some background music, but just a little louder then what I have now.

I have looked at full range and coaxial drivers. I am interested in a two way bookshelf speaker.
Old 12th September 2006, 12:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You mean home gym, not gymnasium right. How big is the room?

Jeff
Old 12th September 2006, 03:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vinylkid58
You mean home gym, not gymnasium right. How big is the room?

Jeff

I guess I can understand the confusion. I was wondering why the reply was "me smoking crack" or something.

It's for a home gym in a basement. The room is abouts 15x24 with a some what low basement ceiling.

Hide this!Advertise here!