advice needed for cheap line array tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BUMP , ..

would an upgrade to a dayton planar ( http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-085 )be worth it in a line array application (thinking of 4 per side) vs. the apexjr (haven't seen that been used off late), . ..or would that be way down past the point of diminishing returns. Of course, with the planar, I'd have the advantage of being able to cross over somewhat lower.

OTOH, I'm not sure about the dispersion of planar tweeters if I had to build a matching center channel. This is for a HT project, BTW.

Sorry for the inane question, but it's a fairly expensive proposition, so I had to ask.

Zobsky,

I have 12 Neo8's from an unfinished line array project that I need to sell. I also have 2 ribbon tweeters. Let me know if you want more info. I live in the dfw area.

tom

Attachments

• array44.jpg
    array44.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 981
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Zobsky..

I still have 6000 left of these tweeters, thay are made
by Audax in France and came out of Harman International.
So, they were used in either a Infinity, JBL or Harman
product...

The .50 each is still available to DIY Audio Forum members

Just mention it to me when ordering....

Steve @ Apex Jr.

Apex Jr said:
Zobsky..

I still have 6000 left of these tweeters, thay are made
by Audax in France and came out of Harman International.
So, they were used in either a Infinity, JBL or Harman
product...

The .50 each is still available to DIY Audio Forum members

Just mention it to me when ordering....

Steve @ Apex Jr.

Thanks Steve. These are one of the tweeters I've shortlisted (apart from somewhat more expensive dayton neos and significantly more expensive planars).. Do you have any T/S specs on these or at least an idea of their Fs or where they can be crossed over. I ask because this affects which midbass I can use in the project.

Thanks again.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Impedance of a sample set of 4. Fs is that tiny bit about 3kHz. I rather like these for use as budget super-tweeters 1st order above 10k. To use lower you'd need a steeper XO. The almost ruler flat impedance curve means a text book XO is going to be pretty close.

These have been successfully used in arrarys before, and they certainly are the right price for a frugal-phile(tm) build. That they are Audax is encouraging, as they invented this class of tweeter.

dave

Attachments

• apexjr-audaxt-imp.gif
    apexjr-audaxt-imp.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,137
You can use the Dayton Neo 20A but you have to cut the flanges to make the C-to-C distance below one inch to keep the Comb filiter distortion above 14Khz.

I have a Word document with pictures showing how this is done for anyone who wants it. I used 60 of them in my line array(30 per side). Email me

Zarathu
(calipso@epix.net)

Zarathu said:
You can use the Dayton Neo 20A but you have to cut the flanges to make the C-to-C distance below one inch to keep the Comb filiter distortion above 14Khz.

I have a Word document with pictures showing how this is done for anyone who wants it. I used 60 of them in my line array(30 per side). Email me

Zarathu
(calipso@epix.net)

Thanks, ..i'll keep this in mind if I ever need the info.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.