Toddler damage to Seas Excel tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I had a visit from my sister and her little son the other day. The little toddler managed in a non supervised moment to push in the dust cap of one of my Seas Excel T25-001 tweeters :bawling:. Now, can someone tell med how sensitive these tweeters are to trauma like that?

The dust cap returned to its original shape after a little fiddling. If I listen casually to the system I can't hear anything out of the ordinary, but when I play one speaker at a time (using the same channel for both) I feel that the abused tweeter is somewhat less bright and less open in its character ... is this my imagination or can something like this be the result of physical trauma?

M.A.

The dome may have returned to original shape but what about the voice coil? As you know it's suspended over the magnet by the surround support and it's position may have shifted a little.Let's hope in time the coil will settle back to it's original place?But if you're a perfectionist, replace dome/coil assembly or get new one?

How difficult would it be to replace the voice coil etc in order to get a very good result? Oh yes, I am somewhat of a perfectionist ...

If there has been damage, then I suppose that I should replace or update the tweeter in both speakers even though one is OK?

Are there any typical audible signs of a shifted voice coil?

Thanks for your insight,
M.A.

mac-attack said:
Hi,

I had a visit from my sister and her little son the other day. The little toddler managed in a non supervised moment to push in the dust cap of one of my Seas Excel T25-001 tweeters :bawling:. Now, can someone tell med how sensitive these tweeters are to trauma like that?

The dust cap returned to its original shape after a little fiddling. If I listen casually to the system I can't hear anything out of the ordinary, but when I play one speaker at a time (using the same channel for both) I feel that the abused tweeter is somewhat less bright and less open in its character ... is this my imagination or can something like this be the result of physical trauma?

M.A.

It's your imagination. You have been psychologically wounded. Time heals this type of wound.

I vacuumed my T-27 tweeters, and various Audax midrange and tweeters when the kids had pushed the domes in.

btw, I have found various toys (Lego's, Transformers, plushies) in my KEF B139/B110/T27 reflex system.

mac-attack said:
How difficult would it be to replace the voice coil etc in order to get a very good result? Oh yes, I am somewhat of a perfectionist ...

If there has been damage, then I suppose that I should replace or update the tweeter in both speakers even though one is OK?

Are there any typical audible signs of a shifted voice coil?

Replacing the dome assembly on that type of driver is usually very easy, all you have to do is to unscrew the faceplate, lift damaged dome out, slide new one in, screw back faceplate. Voice coil and terminals are integral part of the dome assembly.

Do you need to replace the dome in the other tweeter as well? No, unless you're not using the manufacturer-approved replacement part. Those domes are expensive and replacing both just for the sake of psychological reassurance seems like overkill to me.

Keep in mind that fabric domes are surprisingly tolerant to pokes, much more so than metal domes --which require some form of physical protection-- or even poly domes. Personally, I would not replace a fabric dome just because it's been poked unless it had been punctured and/or torn in the process, or if a sound test (in mono) showed a difference with the undammaged tweeter. Such a test should be performed with all other drivers disabled or at least muffled.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This has some mystery in to it I guess. I have been thinking about it many times in the past. Must be something with resembling provocative harmful targets centered for a sure bullseye, to some deep lobe in our brain.

auplater said:

If you replace the toddler AND the sister, the tweeter will probably sound better...

;)

ha!
that actually made me laugh out loud

Mac,
At one time my nephew poked all 10 of my mids :bawling:, but they survived.
Another niece poked a pair of my seas tweeters as well, but fabric dome came back to normal after some fiddling around. Both still measure somewhat the same. But, i swear, they subjectively sound different though :devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.