Loudspeaker Endtables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
panomaniac said:
Hey Mark,
You should have a look at this project over at Part Express: Magna.

Way bigger than what you want, but a similar concept. Uses the W6-789 as a mid.

On a similar vein, I saw this project:

Waveguide.

and it looks really appealing, but with the W6-789 for the woofer. What do you think? First I like it because of the better off axis response, and it just seems cool. What do you tihnk of tweeter and one woofer in front with the second woofer on the side toward the back?

-mark

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Mark,
I don't think you want to use the W6-789 as your woofer. It takes a lot of work to get the bass you want out of it. I'm still struggling with that.

If you use the W6 or the W5 as a mid range, no worries. And you can cross up high enough not to worry much about waveguides and such on your tweeter.

You might also find a driver you like over on the Zaph site. He has quite a line-up.

panomaniac said:
Hey Mark,
I don't think you want to use the W6-789 as your woofer. It takes a lot of work to get the bass you want out of it. I'm still struggling with that.

If you use the W6 or the W5 as a mid range, no worries. And you can cross up high enough not to worry much about waveguides and such on your tweeter.

You might also find a driver you like over on the Zaph site. He has quite a line-up.

Is this a general statement about 6.5" drivers or specific to the W6? Is this because of the high resonance frequency? It's rated with the same bottom end as the Seas Zaph uses (45Hz). Does it dstort at the low end? Sorry for all the questions; you can see I like the specs of this driver.

-m

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well... you could use the W6-789 as your woofer, it models well in a 1.5 ft box.
But I doubt it will give you what you want, subjectively. You could always add a sub later, if you need to. Choose whatever ~92dB/W tweeter strikes your fancy.

Or just start out with sub/fullrange/tweeter combo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.