Need help finding out whats wrong - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2006, 05:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help finding out whats wrong

Hey everyone,

I finished my first set of speakers about two weeks ago. They are a pair of bookshelf speakers for my desk at school. I use them a few hours each day. Up until tonight they have worked great! Tonight I noticed the sound seemed to be shifting to the right, so after running a signal generator through each speaker it seems the left woofer is putting out about half the volume of the right. Both tweeters seem to be the same.

Since these are my first speakers and I built them with no real problems, I'm not sure what and how I find out what isn't working properly. Is there any suggestions to what could be wrong? Do you have certain things that you check first when something is wrong with your speakers?

Thanks for the help!
-Jamie
Old 7th September 2006, 06:20 AM   #2
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi DIYStudent,

See whether it is the speakers or the amp. Swap the left and right speakers and see whether the problem swaps sides. You may have a loose cable. You might measure your speakers across the terminals to see whether one is shorting and affecting the amp. You may also have a blown/loose/intermittent or wrongly placed crossover component.

Hide this!Advertise here!