Multicells horn with BMS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've red with interest that some people used the coax BMS 4590 or 4592nd with success.

My question is if this kind of CDs can work great with a 15 cells horn (like onken 200wood) or if this kind of horn is better in a low-mid only configuration (maybe bms 4591) + super tweeter.
Because to achieve 220Hz or so, I think multicells horn is the best way to go for directiviy.

Thanks
Hugues

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Salut Hugues -
Those BMS drivers are cool.

Maybe you can get BEAR to answer. He should know about them. I know that he runs compression drivers down to about 300Hz - but don't know what drivers he has used.

Please post photos of whatever you do.

Bonne chance!

hugobors said:
Hello,

I've red with interest that some people used the coax BMS 4590 or 4592nd with success.
I was probably the first person here to get the 4590 into a custom system in 2000/2001. Great drivers but I 've never tried them in an Altec style multicell. Used hypex (Arai 290), tractrix (270Hz, HPF at 400), conical. and some old EV and other flares I had lying around. The reults and 'best' will depend on the rest of the system and preferences. I don't like using them below 400Hz unless the flare will support loading better down to this freq.

Used in a suitable flare (try a cardboard or artist board conical first) there is nothing that I've ever heard that's better.

Thanks for your answers,

Brett, what is your prefered flare with your 4590? because finaly I will not make multicellular (I've red elsewhere that this kind of horn is not good for a wide frequency bandwith).
Do a 150Hz circular tractrix can do a good job with this CD?

Thanks
Hugues

hugobors said:
Thanks for your answers,

Brett, what is your prefered flare with your 4590? because finaly I will not make multicellular (I've red elsewhere that this kind of horn is not good for a wide frequency bandwith).
Do a 150Hz circular tractrix can do a good job with this CD?

Thanks
Hugues
150 is too low. A 270Hz flare for a 400Hz cutoff is as low as I'd go.

I like conical best, but it depends on the rest of your system and personal preferences.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

At a glance the 4591 will do fine on a multicell rated for a 300 Hz XO and EQ'd flat to 7 kHz, then add supertweeters positioned between them and bassbins to top them off. The 4590, 4592 will load the mids, but getting good distribution of the highs to all the cells could be problematic, so IMO not combos to invest any time/$$ in unless you already had the horns available to experiment with.

GM

hugobors said:
But brett, what you think about this : www.bd-design.nl (go to plug and play and to orphean).
It's a tractrix round horn with 4592ND that goes to 220Hz...
It looks like it only sells as a complete system, and at a stupidly expensive price. Even if it gets a decent frequency response down to 220, that's no guarantee that it will sound good down there. The 4590 doesn't ime. Looks like hes's trying to stretch the FR down as low as possible to match with the existing type BR LF system. Trying to milk the lowest LF response from a CD isn't neccessarily the best choice sonically (not just with these drivers). I'd personally run a good cone/1" coax on an Oris 150.

Thanks everybody,

But brett, what you think about this : www.bd-design.nl (go to plug and play and to orphean).
It's a tractrix round horn with 4592ND that goes to 220Hz...

In its latest implementation Bert Doppenberg "only" uses the BMS 4592ND/Oris combo down to 270 Hz (the 220 Hz crossover was a firset attempt.). The BMS 4592 ND/Oris combo does sell separately as well with a dedicated crossover. Note that Bert modifies the BMS drivers mechanically. I have not heard the Orphean, as Bert calls them, but Bert is very knowledgable for sure (I used to have the Oris 150/AER MD3).

I have used the BMS 4592 ND myself for some years (on Bentwood 200 and Jabo KH-50 horns), but I never managed to get them sound as natural as I would like to. The treble seemed harsh. Far too much sibilance to my ears... Other with more knowledge and skills may be able to remove this - I was not.

Best regards
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.