Recommendations for 6.5-8" woofer/midrange as a dipole

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a couple of years now I've been tweaking a 3-way dipole speaker consisting of Monacor SPP-250 woofers, Peerless 850490 8" HDS driver as midrange and the B&G Neo8 taking care of the rest. Overall the sound is quite pleasing, except for the 8" HDS, especially from 500-1500hz, so now I'm looking for something else.
Crossover points have been around 150-300 hz and 1-2kHz, depending on the settings in the DCX2496. Speakers are running fully active.

Seas CA22RNX and Ciare HW 204 both look interesting, but it's hard to tell just from a datasheet.

Another option could be two 6-7" drivers in a D Appolito configuration. From some car speakers i accidently came across the Monacor Predator 6, available both in both 4/8 ohms, with smooth and extended frequency response. Maybe that could be it

Would be tempted to try something more "exotic", like the Ciare, so any opinions would be welcome. I'd want clean sound up to 1,5kHz at least. Low frequency extension is really not that important as I have separate woofers anyway

Thanks, I've been looking at Linkwitz's site to get some ideas and it's been quite helpful, especially about the dipole behavior.
Did forget to mention the price, as it's a factor, would be willing to spend around 150-200 euros in total, so the seas excel will unfortunately be out of question.

The d'appolito configuration (with proper drivers) will give you a power handeling posibility (without having distorsions) quite similar with the excel. I am thinking that the phoenix is a fairly researched project so you should get the results you are after... of course I'm not shure if the scan-speaks are in your price range either...

Best luck!

If cost is a factor you might like the Dayton RS series, the 7" will get you a higher crossover point and the 8" will get you a lower cutoff. These drivers are known to have low distortion, and there are many designs using them out there with reviews and measurements.
Im using two of the 8's as mids in a 4-way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.