How should I wire my 1500 watt speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes, tis is the same project I posted when I was trying to figure out exactly what to use as a croossover.

I was thinking about using a DJ crossover but I don't know if that'd work, plus I needed to figure out how I was gonna wire my speakers first. I like the idea with wiring three sets of two to give me 5 1/3 ohms.

And please stop criticizing me, I mean come on there was a time when you were 14 , and there was a time when you don't know what the hell a 100v 1.5uf capacitor was . So take it easy cause everything I post half the people in here have to criticize me for it.

I bust my *** out in the sun landscaping and doing oddball jobs to get the money to afford this and I come here looking for advice and alot of what I get is "no that's wrong" and "you can't do this" or "that's rediculous".

Now to the people who do replie without biting my head off,
Thank You.

But everyone else just cool off, ok?

FYI: I DO listen to what everyone says I take everything into consideration, but after a while the constant criticizing gets old.
I enjoy coming to these forums, but some people just have to insist on putting down my ideas.

I don't mean to attack anyone but it's seems like everything I post someone's gotta be critical towards me and I feel lime I'm constantly being tested.

P.S.
I still have no idea what a 100v 1'5uf capacitor is, I was just trying to make a point.

To everyoneout there who posted, thanx, even if you were telling me what I should and shouldn't do, I still enjoy the input.

I'd like to help, but I'm having a hard time getting through the attitude. :smash: And yeah, I was 14 once too. ;)

But here's the deal - lots of people here are willing to help, but you still haven't answered how you've designed the box. At least not in this thread. We'll point you the way, heck, some people might even design something for you if you're polite, but...

I'll say it. Buying the speakers without any real plans for a crossover, and building a box without a plan is wrong, you shouldn't do it, and is maybe even ridiculous. People are telling you that 'cuz it's true. They're not biting your head off, they're telling you the truth, that you're wandering up a blind alley. Don't mistake people telling you things you don't want to hear as hostility - it isn't. This is one heck of a helpful group.

Question is - where do you want to go from here? Do you want to suck it up, learn from your mistakes, and do the best you can with what you've got? Maybe even sell what you've got and start over? (And it sounds like you've worked hard to get here.) Or do you want to vent and have all of us go away?

BTW, all of us have made mistakes.

Willing to help, but not willing to be abused,

cheesehead

I didn't mean to have an attitude, sorry about that.
So like you said I'm gonna suck it up and leanr from my mistakes, the last thing I want is too have any kind of hostility, exspecailly in these forums.

But any way, I've posted this info about three in the forums, I forgot wher though, anyway here the speaker's I'm planning using, I actually haven't bought them yet, so if you know of anything that will be more well matched SPL wise but still about the same specs it would help me alot.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-370.pdf

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-422s.pdf

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=270-055

Thanx. You guys rock.

Hi P,
I don't usually repeat myself, but we have a listener at last.
A success, maybe.

Think about Pink's Q. Then come back.

Q re bullet driver.
What does the 80W power handling mean?
The maximum system power using a passive crossover?
or
the actual power handling of the tweeter?

110Wpk seems quite high for a 100db/W driver?
or
is this normal for a bullet driver?

punkrokr1701 said:
yes, tis is the same project I posted when I was trying to figure out exactly what to use as a croossover.

I was thinking about using a DJ crossover but I don't know if that'd work, plus I needed to figure out how I was gonna wire my speakers first. I like the idea with wiring three sets of two to give me 5 1/3 ohms.

And please stop criticizing me, I mean come on there was a time when you were 14 , and there was a time when you don't know what the hell a 100v 1.5uf capacitor was . So take it easy cause everything I post half the people in here have to criticize me for it.

I bust my *** out in the sun landscaping and doing oddball jobs to get the money to afford this and I come here looking for advice and alot of what I get is "no that's wrong" and "you can't do this" or "that's rediculous".

Now to the people who do replie without biting my head off,
Thank You.

But everyone else just cool off, ok?

I think you are misinterpreting peoples comments somewhat, they are trying to help you with their own, greater experiance and no one has or had any intention of biting your head off. You should realise that not all critism is bad critisism, and these people are meerly trying to save you from wasting that hard earned money on a system that won't achieve your goals. I can understand it if you feel attacked, but just remember no one here is attacking you.

Now, down to your plans. I would take a step back for the time being. What sort of music do you listen to? What is your budget? What sort of amplifier do you have availible, or are you planning to use? How much volume capability do you need? Is strong, booming bass important to you?

After you have answered those questions (and probably others), then it is the time to decide on a speaker format. I am sure the people here would be able to help you with this, then post an existing design (with the highest chance of success), or at least suggest a good combination of drivers to use. You should learn how to use winISD as a start to simulate enclosure sizes for woofers.

Hey punkrokr1701, From the links you posted, it looks like you're trying to make some higher power capacity PA or DJ cabinets? If so, You should not wire all of the drivers in the series-parallel combination that it's sounding like.

When somebody mentioned a 100V 1.5uF capacitor, I believe they were referring to a crosover network. You will need a crossover network. You'll need to divide the frequencies to deliver the right audio to the appropriate driver. This way you will maximize the quality and safety of your speakers.

As Pink Mouse said:
Just tell us what you want the system to do.
That is the best way to help us help you.

Don't get fruststrated if somebody gives an answer you don't like. Sometimes in the "sting" of a reply, you become guided to how to find the answer. Believe me, all of these people are here because they want the best results with the fewest mistakes.

So, do you want these speakers to be loud?, clean? Fill a huge room? How deep do you need the bass to go??

Punkrokr, I caught a look at your thread, and must say it intrigued me. At any rate I am doing 3 ways now, not with your particular drivers, however,I may be willing to throw in a hand in your quest. First off, what is the volume of your bass cabinet in cubic feet for the woofer? Next, what is the volume of the cabinet for your midbass? If you do not know the volumes, what are your dimensions INSIDE the cabinets for the woofer and for the midbass? What kind of amp are you using and name brand and how many watts RMS is it producing into 8 ohms, and into 4 ohms. Is powerful pushing bass with tone a description you would use for tight, thumpy bass, or bass response that eminates similar to a subwoofer in a car booming and vibrating loudly? I checked out the drivers in parts express and power handling ability will be a big concern, not only for the drivers, but also the crossover. There is a variety of directions you can go, with different costs involved, and believe me, I know what you have to do to bust your *** to afford this. I have run into many cost overruns in my project, so don't despair...............Some of the posts on this thread are attempting to BEGIN to steer you in the right direction............It's a long journey, my friend, and you are just starting out. These guys REALLY do CARE............. At any rate, these are the kinds of questions that MUST be asked and answered in order to develope your project. You have many options.....................Keep posting......Respectfully..........Omni

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
You havent bought drivers yet; please dont, you will get a very hard time getting it working with a risk of complete waste of hard earned money
You live in USA so it should be easy to obtain a pair from this compagny and have plenty of work getting them together - and I guess you will get tunefull baslines
You may find it boring, but you must crawl before you can walk

http://pispeakers.com/BassReflex.htm

x. onasis said:
Here you go Punkrokr.

Build these.

Everything you're looking for.

Loud.......Tuneful bass. And decent sounding.

All figured out, right down to the xover shopping list.

A very reasonable first-time budget project that'll knock your socks off, impress your friends, and a worthwhile learning experience to boot.

I second that sentiment. An already designed 2-way is a good first project, and this one will get people's attention.

punkrokr1701...please

let the collective "us" help you out. Believe me, almost every mistake has already been made, most probably by someone on this forum. I don't know why we should care, but I guess we've almost all made really bad choices and mistakes. Please be a little patient with us. Remember mistakes cost money. Maybe we'd all like to see you make good choices and not waste your money as (obviously) many of us have.

So I am going to ask you some absolutely fundamental questions, and if you are absolutely truthfull (with yourself), I am sure many here will be willing to help out and either get you started designing your own or point you into the righ direction with known good designs. Many here have over double the experience in speaker and audio matters in years than you have been alive.

so without any prejustice I begin the questioning:

1) What do you have for sources ?(cd player , iPod, whatever)

2) What are your musical tastes? (don't worry, no one here will critisize you for them even if we personally don't like them---for me bad country and western is my biggest dislike)

3) What are you using for amplification? This can be huge factor that will affect your decisions.

4) What is your intended purpose? DJ? Small scale guitar stacks? Home theatre? Where will you be using the system?

5) Where do you think you'd like to end up (in the near future) regarding your system?

Once you have answered these questions (for yourself) and then post them here, many here will chime in I'm sure. I don't want to make any "blanket" statements like "try these", until I have an understanding of your wants. One speaker that does come to mind right now are the Pi speakers, they are very inexpensive, have good plans and are well reviewed, and have previously been suggested in this thread.

But please before you settle on a speaker, let's get some equipment details and further information. None here have any motives for steering you in the wrong direction as none here are trying to sell you anything.

Oh, one more BIG question: What is your budget (complete) for your system, whether you have already purchased some or are planning on purchasing some and what the budget is expected to cover?

I know that 1500 watts was really a nieve way to start out, but I know it ain't gonna be easy, I went and did a little research on speaker bulding, paramenters, cabinet tuning and I fellt like a kindergartener tryin to understand rocket science.

I do have a basic understanding that I need to build my cabinets a certain size at a certain frequency. Have my speakers wired a certain way, in certain spots, buld a certain crossover with certain roll offs, and all of that.

I have realized this is like taking on a 100ft shark with a knife.

Now I've narrowed my list down and this are the speakers and amp I'm gonna use.

Woofers
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-370.pdf

Mid bass
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-424s.pdf

Tweeters
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=270-049

Amp
http://www.123dj.com/amps/numark/dimension4.html

If I'm understanding this right the mid bass is basicaly a smaller more mid frequency range version of the woofer. And the specs say that the speaker's all have a pretty close SPL but earlier I was told that these wore peaks, anyway I think they shouldn't drown eachother out. And as far as the amp would I need just one or or would I have to get one for each cabinet to make my concept sound good? Someone else mentioned earlier that one amp in each cabinet would kill my speakers instantly.

I haven't started on this project yet, I haven't bought nothing or built nothing yet because I wanna know just exactly what I need to do.

I'm pretty clear on the speaker needs the main thing that I need advice on is the crossover ( could I cheat and use a Dj crossover?)
and how to wire the speakers together, does that depend on the crossover?

Oh and I plan on two woofers, two mid bass, and two tweeters in each cabinets. For best results where should I place these on the cabinet? And how close should they be?

Well, as far as what they sound like I want a VERY powerful and loud system with a driving bass.
Emphasis on the bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.