Line Array diy suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm considering building one of following: 1) GR Research/CSS Alpha LS 2) Selah Audio or 3) one of Jim Griffin's designs.

My room is 13' x 22' and the speakers really cannot be more than 3' from baffle to the front wall. Listening position is about 12' away.

Ported or sealed? 5.5" or 6.5"? "Normal" tweeters or planers? Or other options (ie, a line array with the tweeter in the middle because of the room constraints)?

Thanks in advance.

Your room is a very nice size and arrays will sound just fine in it. Sealed speakers can be placed a little closer to the walls than ported in general. A custom design could also include the appropriate amount of baffle step compensation to account for your placement as well. Now realize that moving any speaker away from the front wall will yield better imaging and cleaner sound but you have to live with the set-up and likely WAF factors.

If you have subwoofers then I would go for smaller mids but large mids in ported cabinets can work without subs. Of course you can equalize sealed arrays to pick-up the bass in-room without subs as well.

I like planar or better yet ribbon tweeters for line arrays. Especially, the 6-7" long ribbons used 8 or 9 per side. With your room size I would highly recommmend that you don't use just a single tweeter per side.

Jim, thanks for the response. I'm inclined to go ported and then, if needed, add a sub. I'd prefer to build a proven design as opposed custom building the array.

Do you have any specific designs/suggestions for a 6 ft. two-way array using 6.5" and the aforementioned 7" ribbon or planers for tweeters at around $2k for drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.