Cheapest 12" Sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2002, 08:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Cheapest 12" Sub

I just got a flyer in the mail from a local liquidator. This is a scanned pic of the add. And yes, that's $19.99 Canadian! (~$12usd) I almost want to pick up a couple for my "exploding box" experiment...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20bucksub.jpg (18.4 KB, 961 views)
Old 11th December 2002, 09:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ThingyNess
Sean - which local liquidator? For $20, those would make a fun driver for experimentation.
Old 11th December 2002, 09:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's called "XS Cargo" it's at 7780 Alderbridge Way(at Minoru Road) in Richmond. Phone # is 249-0068. Open M-F 9 to 10, Sat 9 to 9, Sun 10 to 7. I have never been there. It's a few blocks West of Alderbridge Mall.

They seem to have a lot of crappy A/V stuff.
They have "Thump" brand car amps.(supposedly 2ohm stable) for 500w is $80, 700w is $100, 900w is $130 and 1200w is $150.
They also have some "ULTRA Linear" speakers. Some Jensen and AudioVox crap.

I know the 12" Thump is cheap, but you might want to upgrade to their "ULTRA Linear - 600w High Performance Subwoofers" 10" for $30 and 12" for $40.

There is also a Jensen 10" BandPass for $50, which sport a "top quality tuned port carpeted enclosure".

Sweet! I was just looking through the flyer and I saw this!:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crappy pair.jpg (38.6 KB, 914 views)
Old 12th December 2002, 01:26 AM   #4
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

I bought four 15" Thumps and loaded them into the door of a closet once. This was a project for a friend.

The response was irregular, and the Thiele-Small specs came nowhere near what the published specs were.

Still, when we loaded them into the closet door, (48 cubic feet), the four of them playing through a 300 watt Phase Linear amp made the bass notes sound like they came from The Center Of The Earth. We had an extremely low crossover, (50 Hz), so the irregular response in the midbass didn't hurt much.

So I wouldn't call Thump a great brand. But if you want to have fun, they can actually pump out some real bass for you.
Old 12th December 2002, 03:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ThingyNess
The intended purpose of these would be to dump 4-8 of them in a small enclosure and dump a fair bit of power into them and LT them.

In this case, the Q values don't really matter, as long as they're consistent from unit to unit, as the LT will determine the final Q of the system. At this price, one can even buy 10 and toss the 2 that are furthest out of the specification spread.

Even if they only had an honest 100W RMS power handling each (probably fair, with the short 1.5" VC in them), that's still 800W RMS total for the 8 of them, with much higher peak power handling.

They'd also be used as "true" subwoofers, with a 4th order lowpass at 60hz or so, which would make any midbass irregularities relatively moot.

For $200cdn (the price of a Shiva in these parts), I'm not sure the Shiva would fair too well against 8 of these and an LT, even in relatively similar cabinet sizes and similar applied power.
Old 12th December 2002, 08:15 PM   #6
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Cheapest 12 inch sub

I've seen some very awful speakers in my local electronics store.
One in particular,is probably the worst and cheapest 12 inch in the world.

HBL 12 inch,1 inch voice coil on paper former,no vented pole piece,14 oz ferrite magnet,8 ohms,foam surround,poly-laminated paper cone,very weak frame,probably made of used steel[recycled] steel lol.Cost a very cheap £12 inc vat.

Tornado,Fury,QTX,RCL,U.S Blaster,Skytec,Skytronic,Longmill,Goodmans are also very crappy speakers you can buy from the same shop.

I think the RCL comp driver is so badly made,it would be good as a frisbe,too light for a door stop.
3/4 inch polymer diapharm,20 w rms,2 0z magnet,brittle plastic housing and,very awful terminals,mounted on a flimsy red paper disc.Cost £3 each

Now a 12 inch for cheap which is good for the price.

BUMPER 12 inch speaker,kapton coil former,2 inch voice coil,150w rms,rubber surround,4 ohms,polyproplene cone,40 0z magnet,cost £25 inc vat

This shop is called Cricklewood Electronics,and it's one of the worst shops i've ever seen.Crude and grumpy shopkeeper and assistant,awful products.Never have anything much in stock,and most of their goods are damaged,although they say they are brand new.A speaker with rust all inside the frame,and a pushed in dustcap,ain't new ,unless it's stored in a damp/wet warehouse,and they mis handle the goods,or idiots in the shops,go round pushing all the dustcap's in.
Old 13th December 2002, 01:08 AM   #7
Account Disabled

I just recieved a 12" woofer from partsexpress that was $7.33 (US$). Its not real nice or anything, but its just for learning how to build subs. Just putting together a first time sub. $8 sonotube, $16 sheet of MDF, $7 driver, $3 Bitumen and my own plate amp. Very cheap.

If you want to check the speaker out.....
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=299-722

Id say its about equal to my 8" radioshack drivers quality wise, just with alot more surface area.
Old 13th December 2002, 01:42 AM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Cheapest 12 inch sub

Quote:
Originally posted by Bull

Tornado,Fury,QTX,RCL,U.S Blaster,Skytec,Skytronic,Longmill,Goodmans are also very crappy speakers you can buy from the same shop.
In various articles, I have read that Goodmans was actually a decent brand over there. Or used to be, anyway.
Old 15th December 2002, 03:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I used the Thump 10" 500 watt high end one with rubber surround and all. Worked great ! my friends bro had those not to bad but my 10" spanked them
Old 29th December 2002, 04:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I used one 15" thump in sealed box to augment my center(Center was in the top of the box and 15" was facing the floor.And some rat is enjoying it right now as it was stolen!)and mains(JBLs).And it gave decent bass for a sealed box!Cost me $20USD driver specs were off but for $20.

Hide this!Advertise here!