driver selection help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I'm about to start my 2nd speaker project and need some help in deciding what drivers to use. I will be building a 3 way design, 10", 5" and a 1". My budget for the drivers is about AU$600 approx for all 6 drivers. So I'm after the best performing drivers that can be purchased in this budget. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Once I decide on the drivers, I will move over to the Enclosures and Xover designs. So what do u think???

What sort of goals do you have for the speakers? There are quite a few choices in that price range, though I'm not sure what drivers are available to you without disastrous shipping costs. Are you looking for high efficiency? Deep subwoofer style bass? What speakers have you enjoyed in the past? One combo I think you could do very well with would be Eminence Alpha 6A and the new peerless HDS tweeter.... then you'd have a pretty darn good amount of budget left to find a good high efficiency woofer, you'd probably want 96dB so that it has inherent baffle step correction, and just cross over to the mid at that frequency. I'd suggest a 15" though, a high efficiency 10" is a midrange, not really a midbass or bass driver.

The alpha and the peerless have low distortion and are reputedly good sounding (you can get away with a 2k XO with the peerless, a big plus) and are 93dB efficient.

But you won't get super deep bass from a 93dB 3 way with a flat 8 ohm load like this would turn out to be.

Given your assumed level of experiance, i think that it would be a very good idea to build this as a sub/sat combo, Design, or use an existing design for the top 5in + 1in tweeter. Then using an active crossover cross in to a subwoofer on each side. Doing things this way imho has a much higher chance of success (3 way designs can get very complicated very quicky), and you can do things in stages, instead of one big project without anything listenable for a long time. I would also suggest that you pick drivers that have been used in a published design before (for the 1in and the 5in), or common drivers, your chances of help are much higher this way, or if the worst came to the worst you could scrap your enclosures and use someone elses design completely.

Those were the ones, I think i conversed via email with you about them ages ago a little bit, before they were built. Mine use the 27TDFC, not the TBFC (might try the TBFC later, they are fairly similar), the same midbass drivers, rotated 90 degrees to get closer spacing, and a deeper, shorter (but deeper) cabinet. I orignally tried to go for ported, but i failed to take in to account inductor series resistance and its effects on enclosure volume, So they are sealed now (crossed over to a subwoofer anyway). What sort of crossover did you end up using?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.