RE-sponse drivers - what's your experience?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm still humm-ing and hah-ing about using a couple of these drivers from Jaycar. Not decided exactly which ones yet but the 8" polycone and the 2" dome mid look good. Could anybody who has built systems using these and/or other re-sponse units tell of their experiences, and how they compare with more expensive drivers and fully built up speakers?

I've used the polycone 8 ohm 8 inch in a reflex box with the vifa d19td tweeter.

Sound was ok, pretty good especially considering the cost outlay. That being said, it's not the last word in quality.

There are plenty way better drivers (Vifa, Scanspeak, Seas, Audax, Peerless) that I and friends have used in the past.
My best call for sound per dollar is to buy one of the driver xover packs for the Jaycar JV60 vifa kit. Step one is to throw away the crossover boards and build you own using 1st order networks.

I'll dredge through my plans and dig up the xover and cabinets we built for a friend.

We built the cabinets in 25mm mdf, cabs were about 1m tall and 20cm wide. they were pretty deep though. Big floorstanders.

I'll be back in touch.

Drew

Re/sponse

I bought an 8" re/sponse unit with a Carbon Fibe cone a few years ago and used it as a sub in a small apartment. The box I had it in was too small (22L) but it is a great unit (now in a 50 L box), and would be good as part of a 2 way system. Unfortunately, when I wanted to go stereo, Jaycar had discontinued this particular model...bugger.
Been searching for a mate for it for a while now.

Cheers,
Pete McK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.