big speakers from 60-70's console radio?(cheap?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have some speakers from the 60's maybe 70's console radios. They are usually 10" in diameter. I guess they are cheap because the magnet is small and the frame is slim. I have photos. I want to know whether they sound good, and whether they worth new wooden cases with modern designs. Yes, I searched but maybe due to the fact that I do not know much about speakers, I could not get relative results.

Thanks.

Attachments

• dscn6107.jpg
    dscn6107.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 141
Have you listened to them at all? That will tell you what they sound like! Mount them on a homemade baffle - even just a slab of cardboard with a hole cut in it will do. Only you will be able to say if they sound good or not.

Would they work in a modern design? Well, some good stuff was made in the 60s & 70s, but it all depends on brand and application - I don't know that Magnavox has ever made any truly high-end audio stuff, but I'm not the last word on that. If they came out of some kind of radio it is doubtful they are high-end - they may actually qualify in some circles as "junk." Maybe somebody knows what these went in?

If you have a particular type of speaker you want to build then you need to state what that is and what kind of budget you have. Mating something like this to a modern, quality tweeter or tweeter + midrange doesn't really seem sensible to me - you might as well go modern with everything and if money is tight look for high quality used components - lots of stuff like that on eBay.

Speaking of that - eBay is a great place to unload vintage audio bits, high-end or not - if you decide not to keep those there are lots of collectors out there looking for all kinds of things.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Those are CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply) OEMs (the 137 in the last number). Likely date from 1962.

Don't let the small magbet fool you, alnico is much stronger than ceramicand magnets can be smaller.

These can certainty be pretty good sounding -- particularily when their value is considered (i'd guess $10-30 for these, that they have the Magnavox on them maybe more)

These will almost certainly be high Q and will be best on a specific size open baffle where the roll off due to dipole cancellation perfectly cancels the rise due to the Q.

They won't work well in a box and can be modded to sound better.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.