DIY Open baffle / Sealed woofer design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
preiter said:
I'm very intrigued by the Linkwitz Orion. Specifically, I like the idea of an open baffle for midrange/tweeter and a sealed box for woofers.

You left out the part (maybe the most important part) about the Orion being an active speaker. Is this also on your wish list?

preiter said:
Anyone know of a DIY design in this configuration? Preferrably something that costs under $400 USD to build.

What are you driving it with? For $400, you should consider just making a low efficiency version of the BassZilla if driving with plenty of amp power.

preiter said:
I'm very intrigued by the Linkwitz Orion. Specifically, I like the idea of an open baffle for midrange/tweeter and a sealed box for woofers.

Anyone know of a DIY design in this configuration? Preferrably something that costs under $400 USD to build.

The NaO Mini is such a design.
http://www.musicanddesign.com/NaOMini.html
It would cost a little more than you want to spend though. There is also a good discussion of combining a sealed box woofer with a dipole mid.

Nuuk said:
This one John.

http://www.musicanddesign.com/NaOMini.html

I got a box up with some options including 'Deny Access' that was ticked so I clicked on OK. Then I got the page come up as normal so I don't know what Antivir was objecting too. :xeye:

PS Now Firefox is reporting

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at /NaOMini.html.

I have updated my virus data base and scaned all the files and they are clean. I have no problems accessing the links with IE 6.0, IE 5.5, Firefox, of Netscape. I also tried a couple of different computers. No problems.

I Can highly recommend the NaO Mini if it fits within your budget. I've built a custom version of it (pictured on John's page) to work with my existing two sealed front subwoofers.

I used different drivers than in the original NaO Mini design (Vifa XG-18's) , but the same tweeter. John did the active and passive crossover redesign for me and I did the design and build of the OB panels and the passive crossover assembly.

I'm extremely pleased with the result. They are the best I've had or heard.

You won't find a better guy to work with than John K. either.

Good luck,

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.