Notch filter at x'over freq. of woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi just found this project,
Here is a restoration/redesign of a JBL 2 way speaker with a woofer response which looks similar to the 8 in. in question. see link below
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL-L26.htm

1) Notice the woofer response plot with a 10 dB peak at 2KHz with 20 dB off axis around 2.5KHz.

2) Notice orig. filters are 1st order with quite a bit of peaking still present in simulated response.

3) New and improved filter is a high 4th order.

I rest my case.:smash:
sreten you are the not so great pretender!

Hi,

The response of the JBL (or the RS180 for that matter) is not similar
enough to be directly applicable, so neither are the crossovers.

However its all purely academic without measuring equipment,which
is not available, and IMO the original graph should not be trusted.

:)/sreten.

Hi Pete Mck from Sydney,
thanks for your contribution! Re: 'xover' with a hole in it' for a 2way - are you referring to what I think Mike and Tenson
(first page of thread) suggested? That is, cross woofer at 1Khz/6db/Oct and tweeter at ~2khz >=12db/Oct?
The 'even' peak and comments by other posters suggest woofer was 'designed' to be crossed first order, I think.

BTW, any suggestions at all for a 'rough' Le figure for this driver? Thanks Pete, Grant
Also re a 3way, I may consider a Peerless nomex 830873 mid at a
later stage....maybe! lol

Hello again Infinia and Sreten!
Thank you both very much indeed, I DO value your input, and I realise there is a difference of opinion.

I think in the technical design process there may at times 'come to play' a notion of scientific method,
where theories are postulated, and debated by other parties thereby producing the 'discovery process' maybe?
(well maybe you know what I mean)

Also, again just maybe, there could be alternate methods of achieving a similar result? (Mr V. Dickason has said this
is feasible for one aspect of xover design, I think).

Possibly, differing opinions could sometimes facilitate new ways of doing things (inventions?) and that speaker
designing is part science and part art? I think one of Mr L. Olson's works alluded to that.
Anyway, gentlemen, thank you! I am reading the links you so kindly provided.
best regards, Grant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.