sony XPLOD speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2006, 04:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default sony XPLOD speakers?

I am thinking of getting some sony XPLOD speakers from my local Walmart and I wanted to validate the quality of XPLOD's before I bought them. I though they were the best type when I listened to them in the audio stand thing that they have at a lot of Walmarts. They seem to have good frequency response. I kindof doubt that many of you have tried XPLOD speakers but I can't even afford the gas to drive an hour to buy some more decent ones . I have some Boston Acoustics A40 speakers but they're from the '80's so all the foam on one crumbled one day and the other one is a DIY size-fitting job and doesn't look very good . I am hoping that I can use the enclosures from these and get some decent sound.

Please notify me if you think this is the wrong forum (now why would you think that ).
Old 18th August 2006, 04:44 AM   #2
Jiggity is offline Jiggity  United States
diyAudio Member

I cant say that I have ever been impressed with the Exlpods, Ive had friends buy the 4-way 6.5" and return them pretty much immediately. If you have the specific product link, then I think we could find something better for the same price.
Old 18th August 2006, 04:59 AM   #3
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Default Re: sony XPLOD speakers?

Quote:
Originally posted by keantoken
I am thinking of getting some sony XPLOD speakers from my local Walmart and I wanted to validate the quality of XPLOD's before I bought them. ...I have some Boston Acoustics A40 speakers but they're from the '80's so all the foam on one crumbled one day and the other one is a DIY size-fitting job and doesn't look very good ...
There are better speakers than Sony's Xplod at the same price. I think Pioneer might be a better option at this price (about $49/pair).

The Boston A40, if I recollect correctly, used a 6" woofer and a 1" tweeter. Remove the 6" woofer and see if it's basket size matches the speaker you chose (Sony Xplod or other brand). THe tweeter hole can be covered or filled with felt cloth and can serve as a aperiodic vent.

Another option might be to get a pair of 6" woofers and tweeters and use a simple 1st order crossover.

something like this...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-305
and
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=297-416

mated with a 2nd order XO at about 3kHz.

there are better options too but I was looking at a budget of about $50 per pair.
Old 18th August 2006, 05:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I always thought sony speakers sounded too flat. No trebble or bass.

I acually paid for Infinity refrence speakers in another car and they sound good, but they are too bright. They need a sub or something, but I don't want to add the weight, or pay for one.

For the price, I'd give Pyle a try. I once got a pair of speakers from Big lots ($20) for a POS CRX and they kicked the crap out of "Mitsubishi Infinity" speakers that were in the car.

Unless you are a hard core car audio guy, don't spend too much money. If you have too nice of a stereo, it will just be stolen. With road noise, wind noise, and all the other crap that you deal with on the road, I think it is a wast to spend too much money on a car stereo. Just IMO tho. Some people demand the best in a car too.
Old 18th August 2006, 05:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't know 100% if it is true or not, but I've heard Wal-Mart gets lower end stuff. If you decide to go with Sony, compare PNs at Wal-Mart and then Best Buy.

Again, I don't know if it is true or not, but I've heard that Sprawl-Mart gets lower end stuff. Check before you spend your hard earned cash.
Old 18th August 2006, 09:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Also: I listened to Pioneer speakers but they didn't sound as good as the XPLOD's. I have some RoadMaster 300W car speakers that are in the same enclosure. They're the ones with the metal bars in front if you've ever seen them in Walmart. I would rather take them out of the enclosure, though, because they interfere and the volume is significantly reduced in mono sound. It doesn't have any holes on the enclosure which might actually help reduce interference. I was wondering if it would be worth it if I could use these (take them out of the enclosure and put them in my Boston A40 enclosures). I measured the impedance and it read 4 ohms. I need 8 ohms but I think this reading was becuase it was still connected to the built-in amp which would make it like two 8 ohm resistors in parrallel (just so you know I understand ). I also have some Road Gear 60W RG652 4-10 ohm speakers (I'm assuming that 4-10 means 4 ohm speaker and 10 ohm tweeter or vice-versa) and I'm wondering if I could DIY an impedance matching transformer so that I could use them.

Hide this!Advertise here!