Scan speak floorstander project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have looked all week, and I haven't found a project that fits what I am looking for.
If anyone knows of an MTM, TMM, or TMWW project using Scan speak drivers, that is reasonably efficient (87dB or better), and has a nominal impedance of at least 6 ohms, please post. I found a Scan speak MTM, but it was 4 ohm nom and used 5.5" drivers where I want 6.5 or 7". I have considered the 2.5 clone, but I really want something in a 2 or 2.5 way MTM or TMM, or else a 3 way TMWW. Have also looked at the SP38, but I fear it will be more forward than I am wanting with the dome mid.
Basically what I really want is something a lot of people want, a D38 clone, but that isn't a possibilty at this time afaik. Hell, I would be happy with a Studio 140 clone.
If you know of a project that is along these lines, please point me toward it. Thanks

Previn

Most Scan-Speak's are 8 Ohms, you might find some customized 4 ohms version at the german distributor:
http://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/indexE.html

They have an 18W/4XXX in 4 ohms.

infinia said:
I haven't tried these, but seems reasonable to what you're looking for.
http://audioclone.free.fr./previn1.html

The Previn is quite old in design now (1994) and was intended to be a copy of the Response 3.0 from Proac (whilst Proac is using different drivers though, not available for DIY).
But they sound somewhat different, the crossover totally different. I know because I was the designer of the Previn back in 1994...:cool:

Why don't you want a 4 ohms design? Most of actual amplifiers can handle this impedance easily.

Cheers,
- dan

Re: Previn

Alfetta87 said:
Why don't you want a 4 ohms design? Most of actual amplifiers can handle this impedance easily.

I know I am opening myself up to ridicule by revealing my motive for wanting an easy load, but here it is.
I have a B&K 200wpc amp. It's up to driving just about anything. However, it's a mosfet design, and runs hotter than just about any ss amp you ever saw, and it's location is not the best ventilated spot I could have it in. However, it IS the best spot I could have it in as far as what I have to work with for placing my equipment in my home theater. I fear that if it was driving a harder load I would have heat problems forcing me to relocate it, and I just don't want to do so at this time.

Re: here ya go

infinia said:
I haven't tried these, but seems reasonable to what you're looking for.
http://audioclone.free.fr./previn1.html

If it's any indication, I built the ASA Monitor Baby clone from that site and was extremely pleased at the results. It's in the Vifa section. You need not understand French, just follow the diagram. I had never never heard of ASA speakers before tumbling on that page so I Googled until I could find some info in English. The only spec I could find was the asking price for the original speakers: about 1000 euros.

I figured it was worth investing the less than $200 required for the project and see where it would lead but in the end it cost me about $300 because I built the crossovers using Solen parts only. The result is a smallish monitor with great imaging and bass extension in the low 40's at -3dB. There are two crossover designs for the Baby: parallel and series. I chose the parallel xover because it's cheaper and I had no idea if the designer was competent or not. He is, so my current project is the Big Baby from the same site, this time with the series crossover.

It appears that all of the projects on that site were designed by the same guy, and he knows his stuff.

Dayton speakers as replacement for Scan-Speak

Jonasz said:
I think you should look at the designs over at the HTforum. They use the Dayton RS drivers and they have a much better price/performance ratio than SS designs.

A colleague of mine bought some Dayton drivers, they look close to the 18W/8545, similar diaphragm, large magnet.
We made a blind A-B test between original SS and the Daytons:
it's like comparing a Ferrari to a Hyundai coupé...

They even don't come close to the SS, and beside this they lack bass. They have a pleasant low midrange though.

Cheapo solutions are not always the best...

- dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.