newbie Q

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys. This question obviously reveals my newbie status. :D

I'm looking at the different components for 2-way "Pro-sound" enclosures (12 or 15 inch woofers, and compression driver with horn). The woofers are rated at something like 300-500 watts, and the drivers at 30-40 watts. Built with a passive crossover.

Here's my question. How come the driver is rated at aproximately 10% of the power rating of the woofer? :confused:

Thanks for your help in understanding.

peace,
memphissound <><

The big power is used up in driving the lower frequencies to the big woofer cone. It doesn't take a lot of power to move a little compression diaphragm. Therefore the tweeter is able to handle whatever the power is when the woofer is at it's 500 watts. Usually around 10% of that of the woofer. As Dave mentioned, the XO makes sure the low notes don't get to the tweeter.

I'm sure Cal meant to say 10% goes to Tweeter.;)
You may refer to the attachment, it shows the percentages involved.
I had saved it from the net some time ago.

Attachments

• power distr. for speakers as per freq. range.gif
    power distr. for speakers as per freq. range.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 92
Thanks...

Muchas gracias,

to everyone for the insight. I had contacted a guy at Eminence who gave me similar input. If anyone is interested his reply was:

"High frequencies are not as abusive as lower frequencies, there's not as much information. You can consider the HF device receives only a percentage of the system power. Some general rules of thumb are from 1.5kHz-2.5kHz the HF device receives 20% of the system power, from 3.5kHz-4.5kHz, 15% and from 5kHz up, 10% (this is assuming you're using at minimum a 12dB/octave slope)."

peace,
memphissound <><

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.