genelec style monitor mimic dipole at some freqs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2006, 12:59 PM   #1
mazurek is offline mazurek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default genelec style monitor mimic dipole at some freqs?

I have been doing a small study of directivity control in professional speakers, and also am doing the zaphaudio waveguide mod (will post measurements as soon as expoxy dries adequately).

I came across this thing, and was wondering if they intentionally make it sideways like that so that people can get d'apolito style cancellation lobes on each side of the room, except at woofer frequencies. They would produce a lobe at the crossover point, and the lobe is oriented horizontally, such that it would minimize sideways room reflections. To me this is similar to the dipole cancellation concept. If I were doing it, I would set the crossover from 100-200 Hz, do you think the lobes would be too wide to minimize room reflections? Anyone have a lobing at crossover frequency calculator?

http://www.genelec.com/products/1034b/1034b.php
Old 16th August 2006, 01:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

It's only that way round by default, you can pull out the mid/hi module to rotate it whichever way you desire.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th August 2006, 02:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hehe, I was wondering more about the concept of horizontal d'apolito at low crossover freqs to mimic dipole nulls. I'm not actually in the market to buy these
Old 16th August 2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think the point pinkmouse was making is that they did not do it on purpose, its just a side effect of the design.

I'm not sure how much use it will be but have a look at a program called ArrayShow. It is not very accurate for small scale stuff as it is intended for PA systems but it gives you a general idea of the outcome of different arrangements.
Old 16th August 2006, 08:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tenson, it looks like the drivers have to be at least a half a wavelength away to get any side cancellation, so the concept would only work if the subwoofer is crossed fairly high, so its a no go. I thought this might be the case, but it was an interesting idea.

I wonder if the mid-tweet crossover point sometimes affects lobing patterns and room reflections, and people sometimes end up choosing a given point for that reason rather than distortion or other issues.
Old 16th August 2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, most speakers are designed with the mid and tweeters as close as possible so it is unlikely it causes much of a problem. Also remember that most are in a vertical arrangement so it would only effect vertical dispersion.

Remember that introducing a delay to one of the drivers will do a similar thing to changing the spacing.
Old 16th August 2006, 09:06 PM   #7
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It looks to me that they are achieving near cardioid with this baffle sculpture. At least they sounded as such to my ears in Prolight & Sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!