Help needed designing "Duntech-ish" speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2006, 04:01 PM   #1
boogs is offline boogs  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Help needed designing "Duntech-ish" speakers

Hi

I've always been a fan of the Duntech Sovereign but was never sure i wanted to take on a project of that size. Well i'm still not sure but would like to throw it out there and try and get some help from the diyAudio community.

Some changes i'd like to propose are:

Utilizing 2 - 15" TC2+ drivers per side for the bottom end (i've got those drivers). These will be driven with a dedicated amplifier and will pretty much perform as subwoofers,
1 - 8" midbass,
1 - 3"-5" midrange dome,
1 - 1" soft dome tweeter.

I realize it won't bear a huge resemblance to the Duntech but it's the overall look i like (tall and relatively narrow).

I haven't gotten the drivers figured out yet - i'm not sure if an 8" midbass will be sufficient for mating a pair of sealed 15" subs to the midrange driver.

The budget for this is somewhat variable. I'd like good drivers but likely couldn't afford the best (top of the line Morel etc).

I have built several pairs of speakers over the last 20 years as time has permitted but would like to delve into this a little deeper now. I've got a shop set up in my garage so i've got the room to work on a project like this.

Any opinions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Scott
Old 14th August 2006, 04:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Link

http://www.duntech.com.au/images/all.html

Choose Products
Classic Series
Sovereign

Old 14th August 2006, 05:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Duntech = Time aligned drivers, SWMTMWS/D'Appolito, 1st order x-o's and sealed enclosures.

If you want to follow that you should pick the right drivers to make it work.

I've never seen 3"-5" domes, so maybe you should just stick with the ordinary 2".

Edit: Humm, one question. How does one get the drivers time aligned? What are the drawbacks of this?
Old 14th August 2006, 07:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In fact it's more the appearance than necessarily the crossover type that i'm after. Finding drivers that can handle appreciable power and have smooth roll off outside of their normal bandwidth would probably blow the budget!

Time alignment would be nice and shouldn't be too difficult to attain though i'm curious about diffraction issues with the pronounced steps on the Sovereign's baffle.

Vifa makes a 3" dome that looks like it might fit the job. I thought ATC also made one though i'm under the impression they are pricey drivers.

Scott
Old 14th August 2006, 08:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boogs
In fact it's more the appearance than necessarily the crossover type that i'm after. Finding drivers that can handle appreciable power and have smooth roll off outside of their normal bandwidth would probably blow the budget!

Time alignment would be nice and shouldn't be too difficult to attain though i'm curious about diffraction issues with the pronounced steps on the Sovereign's baffle.

Vifa makes a 3" dome that looks like it might fit the job. I thought ATC also made one though i'm under the impression they are pricey drivers.

Scott
Since your in Canada, Solen can supply both the Vifa and ATC 3" domes.
Old 15th August 2006, 09:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi boogs,

IMHO your "clone" is more similar to DUNLAVY SC-VI.
If I can ,I suggest a HALF version, only SWF-W-M-T.
An extra simplification can be at the first point of x-over:
if you active biamp at 60-70Hz with a 18or24dB slope you can save
90% of the sonic signature of the system. The "sat" will be true first
order of course. A little compromise can be help
Another advantage of this solution can be a side firing solution for the SWF, with a cabinet only 10"x 42" front.
Just my personal opinion.

Cheers,
Inertial
Old 15th August 2006, 12:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

"Since your in Canada, Solen can supply both the Vifa and ATC 3" domes."

For some reason i primarily look at drivers on PartsExpress (i think the specs are easier to read and the site has logical progression) and primarily buy crossover parts at Solen (they are comparably priced, or at least they were until the Canadian dollar started to rise). I did have a look last night at Solen's selection of drivers - I'll have to give them a call and see what they can do for me - thanks for the reminder!

"IMHO your "clone" is more similar to DUNLAVY SC-VI."

You know i never looked up Dunlavy designs - the SC VI is very close to what i'm after!

I had intended to run the 15'(s) as subs, so crossed over around 70 or 80hz to the midbass unit(s). The subs will have their own dedicated amplifier (Adcom GFA 585LE) while the mid and top end will be used with an Adcom GFA555.

I've never done a side firing sub. How is phase affected, particularily at the crossover point to the midbass units? It certainly would give the speakers a more elegant appearance.

Any ideas on driver selection? I know it's a broad question with many possible answers but i'm unsure as to which drivers will mate up well with each other.

Thanks for the replies!

Scott
Old 15th August 2006, 01:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boogs
Any ideas on driver selection? I know it's a broad question with many possible answers but i'm unsure as to which drivers will mate up well with each other.
A low cost Hi-Vi combo:

1 - Hi-Vi TN25 textile dome tweeter
2 - Hi-Vi DMN-A textile dome midrange
2 - Hi-Vi D8.8 poly cone woofer

These should be quite easy to combine and the small flange tweeter should make possible a higher xof to the two dome midranges.
Old 15th August 2006, 01:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott,

IMHO side firing swf at 70/80Hz have near zero issues ( 18/24 dB)
What is your electronic x-over?

Your issues is the "rest"........
A true first acoustic order 3 way sat with (relative) inexpensive
drivers is not easy job .
midbass 8" ( seas, peerless) from 80 to about 400Hz
mid 4 or 5" ( seas,peerless) from 400 to about 4500Hz
tw seas 27TFDC from 4500 to 20000 Hz
IMHO the mid is the biggest issue. A 4" for "quality" or 5" for "spl"?
Maybe a Morel 114s can be sufficient.......
If I well remember the SC-VI = 5"mids but SC-V = 3,5" mids .
My subjective preference was for the "little" !
Cheers,

Inertial
Old 15th August 2006, 04:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses - i'm off to start designing!

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!