Yamaha digital sound projectors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2006, 10:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha digital sound projectors

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/ysp1/idx_products.htm

Has anyone revsered engineered these? I searched, but I must have not used the right words because I know someone else talked about them before.

I've heard them before, and they are a bit sharp/bright sounding, but I heard them without a sub. The surprizing part, they really can do what they say they can do. The do reflect sound off the back walls and make it sound like sound is comming from behind you. It's not as good as real 5.1, but it is not a bogus BS product.

The only reason I am interested is I have a 32" HDTV used mostly for gamming and regular TV play back. The room is also crammed with two computers, a printer, and a VCR and a bunch of VHS tapes. I do not have room for a full size amp and even small speakers and the way the room is setup, I couldn't properly place speakers for a true 5.1 system and I HATE people who put speakers in the wrong place when they hook up a 5.1 system. I couldn't live with myself if I did it. On the other hand, I am NOT paying for what Yamaha is asking.

Another question (that should probably be in one of the amp forums), but how do you find or make a dolby digital decoder? I do not need 5.1 or anything as I just want something better then TV speakers for video game play back, VHS playback (ya I break them out sometimes when I'm bored), and regular TV playback.

I want one main speaker that can sit on top of the TV and a baby sub on the floor. I want some sort of small amp with a RCA hookup and a dolby surround decoder. The amp doesn't need to be built in to the speaker, but maybe a small box that could sit on top of the sub.

Any ideals? Anyone else working on something like this?
Old 15th August 2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This looks like a consumer application of the ultrasonic beat frequency transducers that were introduced a few year back by, um .... I don't remember who, but I read a lot about them. Might be able to google them up.

The basic idea is that to produce an audible frequency you use 2 ultrasonic transducers running at slightly different frequncies. For example, two transducers running at 40KHz and 42KHz would beat a a frequency of what? 2K.
If one transducer runs at a fixed frequency and the other changes with audio input signal, you get audio frequencies out.

This is said to be highly directional and hard to hear unless bounced off a hard surface. Looks like Yamaha is using multiple transducer pairs aimed at various angles. The beams hit the wall behind you and bounce back to your ears. As the reflections come from different locations, you hear multiple sources.

I don't know what is "digital" about this. They might be using class-d amps, but they aren't really digital. But there would need to be a lot of DSP upstream. Someting Yamaha has a long history of doing well.

Might be very tricky to build your own.
Old 15th August 2006, 11:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hmm yea it would be very hard to clone one of these. Would be interesting but probably not worth it for the amount of work just to get home theater into a cluttered area.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=297-411

Those Yamaha drivers remind me of these like many other "Micro speakers" that are some metal cone ussually found in multimedia products.

But what you could do is a traditional LCR type speaker with a left, center and right channel all in one wide unit and put it on your tv.

Hide this!Advertise here!