Why new xover sounds recess and lacks dynamic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2006, 08:06 PM   #1
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Default Why new xover sounds recess and lacks dynamic

My speakers are based on Eros construction but I am using my own version of xover:
Here is the construction and description of speakers:
http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...oject/eros.htm

I attached my own version of xover. The one on the right is slightly modified from the one on the left.

But the sound of the right xover sound quite rescess but the change is so minimal. Could anyone explain why?

My purpose is to add a bit more baffle step correction so to add a little of warmness to the sound. Any suggestion is welcomed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf schematics.pdf (8.3 KB, 50 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Jonasa is offline Jonasa  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belgium
The right on has a resistor in serial with the capacitor in the woofer crossover. The effect of the resistor is a faster roll off in the high frequenties of the woofer (1 ...3 Khz).
My filter has also a resistor in serial with the cap and I did some measurements when I removed the resistor of not.
But does anyone know the reanson why this is?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 08:21 PM   #3
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonasa
The right on has a resistor in serial with the capacitor in the woofer crossover. The effect of the resistor is a faster roll off in the high frequenties of the woofer (1 ...3 Khz).
My filter has also a resistor in serial with the cap and I did some measurements when I removed the resistor of not.
But does anyone know the reanson why this is?

What's the difference in the sound when you remove the resistor?

I once had a pair of Living voice speaker with the xover almost exactly the same as mine (drivers are almost the same too) and its xover also has 1.5ohm in series with the cap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Jonasa is offline Jonasa  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belgium
When you remove the resistor (0 ohm) you will hear a little more in the frequentie range between 1 and 3 khz.
I"ve the build the studiomonitor of Vance cookbook and did the test but I don"t hear much difference I only saw it on the frequency plot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 10:31 PM   #5
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: nsw
You may find that the rolloff is a little smoother with the resistor in place. If you like the sound with the resistor removed, you might also try it with the resistor in place but reduce the value of inductance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 11:19 PM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Resistors affect phase, timing and Q values and prevent peaks/ringing

I think you you should try a resistor on 0.33mH also

But not easy to say, every component added or taken away affect phase

But do some longperiod testing with different resistor values - I often use rather big R values close to DC resistance, more or less

I also use double RC, cant do without them

Also I recommend RC on tweeter to deal with rising impedance at high frequencies
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 11:42 PM   #7
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
Resistors affect phase, timing and Q values and prevent peaks/ringing

I think you you should try a resistor on 0.33mH also

But not easy to say, every component added or taken away affect phase

But do some longperiod testing with different resistor values - I often use rather big R values close to DC resistance, more or less

I also use double RC, cant do without them

Also I recommend RC on tweeter to deal with rising impedance at high frequencies
How about keeping the 1.0ohm resister but reduce the cap from 18.2uf to about 12uf?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Jonasa is offline Jonasa  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Belgium
Does anybody know a free program on internet where you can play with filter components and see the result on a graph?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2006, 12:16 PM   #9
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Default Re: Why new xover sounds recess and lacks dynamic

Quote:
Originally posted by andy2

I attached my own version of xover. The one on the right is slightly modified from the one on the left.

But the sound of the right xover sound quite rescess but the change is so minimal. Could anyone explain why?


Hi,

Because the resistor is drastically affecting the Q of the LC section.

Without the R and using "standard" c/o values often results in a
peaking response due to the inductance of the bass unit preventing
the resistance of the driver damping the Q of the LC section.

/sreten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2006, 12:56 PM   #10
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
rabbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonasa
Does anybody know a free program on internet where you can play with filter components and see the result on a graph?
Have a look at the PCD or SCD and other stuff at the
FRD Consortium. You might have to use a couple to get what you want and SPL tools is very useful.
__________________
No longer DIY active
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visaton BG20 hissing and lacks Bass filholder Full Range 6 26th January 2007 01:17 PM
friend lacks midbass - need help! jaygeorge1979 Car Audio 11 8th March 2006 01:44 AM
Routing the recess? xyrium Multi-Way 49 14th July 2005 01:54 AM
To recess or not to recess AntM Multi-Way 4 23rd June 2005 04:58 PM
What to do if tweeter recess is too large Goldenboy Multi-Way 12 25th February 2005 09:26 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:02 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2