Series or parrellel 3rd order?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Westrock2000 said:
I want to do a 3rd order crossover and "Passive Crossover Design Calculator" offers both a parrellel and a series. Isn't a series self balancing? This would be at 4k Hz, if that makes any difference.

Where is this "Passive Crossover Design Calculator" that designs a series crossover? Self balancing means that the drivers are always in phase? They're always in phase if you use a series crossover at the cost of reduced efficency, I think.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well the reason I chose series was becuase, I bought the caps and inductors from PE and they (especially all the inductors) were a little off. I read in the "Great Stereo Sound Speaker Manual" that a series XO balances itself in that if you change one of the values, instead of changing the crossover for that particular driver, it shifts it for all the drivers. So thats why I chose it. Effieciency shouldn't be too much of a problem as the speakers will be in the upper 80's sensitivity.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Westrock2000 said:
Well the reason I chose series was becuase, I bought the caps and inductors from PE and they (especially all the inductors) were a little off. I read in the "Great Stereo Sound Speaker Manual" that a series XO balances itself in that if you change one of the values, instead of changing the crossover for that particular driver, it shifts it for all the drivers. So thats why I chose it.

This is very true, but because of it the system is VERY chaotic. A 3rd order series is not easy to get right. But i encorage you to try it out, there is far to little solid info on higher order series systems.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.