Series or parrellel 3rd order? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2002, 10:49 PM   #1
Account Disabled

Default Series or parrellel 3rd order?

I want to do a 3rd order crossover and "Passive Crossover Design Calculator" offers both a parrellel and a series. Isn't a series self balancing? This would be at 4k Hz, if that makes any difference.
Old 9th December 2002, 02:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Series or parrellel 3rd order?

Quote:
Originally posted by Westrock2000
I want to do a 3rd order crossover and "Passive Crossover Design Calculator" offers both a parrellel and a series. Isn't a series self balancing? This would be at 4k Hz, if that makes any difference.

Where is this "Passive Crossover Design Calculator" that designs a series crossover? Self balancing means that the drivers are always in phase? They're always in phase if you use a series crossover at the cost of reduced efficency, I think.
Old 9th December 2002, 05:01 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Series or parrellel 3rd order?

Getting a 3rd order series tuned will be difficult... every component affects every other one.

dave
Old 10th December 2002, 01:48 PM   #4
Account Disabled

Well the reason I chose series was becuase, I bought the caps and inductors from PE and they (especially all the inductors) were a little off. I read in the "Great Stereo Sound Speaker Manual" that a series XO balances itself in that if you change one of the values, instead of changing the crossover for that particular driver, it shifts it for all the drivers. So thats why I chose it. Effieciency shouldn't be too much of a problem as the speakers will be in the upper 80's sensitivity.
Old 10th December 2002, 05:52 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Westrock2000
Well the reason I chose series was becuase, I bought the caps and inductors from PE and they (especially all the inductors) were a little off. I read in the "Great Stereo Sound Speaker Manual" that a series XO balances itself in that if you change one of the values, instead of changing the crossover for that particular driver, it shifts it for all the drivers. So thats why I chose it.
This is very true, but because of it the system is VERY chaotic. A 3rd order series is not easy to get right. But i encorage you to try it out, there is far to little solid info on higher order series systems.

dave
Old 11th December 2002, 05:00 AM   #6
Account Disabled

Ya what the hey I'll give it a try, if it sounds absolutly horrible I'll just have some extra caps and coils.

This will be my first real project, so I probably jumped in a little too far, but we'll see.
Old 11th December 2002, 10:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Footprints in the virgin snow
Lead to new knowledge...
One must fail, then one can learn

Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 11th December 2002, 10:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Try this link :

http://home.iprimus.com.au/gradds/se...oss-overs9.htm

This is actually noted as 2nd order, but the slope is higher, somewhere between the 2nd order and the 3rd order. I think the tweeter polarity is wrong on the picture, so it should be inverted.

Good luck,
Zoltan

Hide this!Advertise here!