[INDIA] The Asawari

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I know this may be very unhelpful, but I have the reverse problem: I have all the drivers and crossover parts for a Vifa L18 system (Zaph's) and no one to build the cabinets for it.

If it helps, you're welcome to them. The crossover will need some tweaking because they were meant for a different baffle size.

Peerless has changed out a lot of their drivers for new ones. Maybe some newer drivers would help?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nice to see you actively in the hobby, Tarun. The speakers look great - Peerless migrated to a 6-hole frame, that's nice to see. IIRC the original midwoofers had a 4-hole mount.

I recently used these tweeters for a DIY nearfield studio monitor (no job, no cash, music still gotta go on!): Peerless - 26mm Silk Dome Tweeter - TL26SG

I also used the M16KI woofers from that site and whereas the woofers have very ordinary performance, the tweeters are very, very good for the money. I wouldn't trust the 1k spec but I have them crossed over very steeply at 1.6KHz and they are excellent for the money. Not the lowest distortion, but I'm guessing at a more reasonable 1.8 or 2KHz they will be able to handle tons of power and lose the raggedness inherent when crossing cheap tweeters low.

In a nearfield application I'm putting very little power through them anyway so I can get away, in a more typical home speaker it might be a bit of an ask. The tweeters strain audibly at very high output.

Nice to see you actively in the hobby, Tarun. The speakers look great - Peerless migrated to a 6-hole frame, that's nice to see. IIRC the original midwoofers had a 4-hole mount.
Hi Sangram,

The Peerless Kevlars always had six holes. From the time of the Asawari Mark I (when I bought these drivers which I am now using for the Mark II anyway). Even the M16KI are 6-hole frames.

I recently used these tweeters for a DIY nearfield studio monitor (no job, no cash, music still gotta go on!): Peerless - 26mm Silk Dome Tweeter - TL26SG
Very interesting. I too have been wondering whether I can use them for some of my low-budget projects.

The realisation of "low budget" hits home when you realise how much the enclosure costs. My Asawari Mark II enclosure cost me probably Rs.35K, including veneer and PU polish. At those prices, the savings in money by choosing a Peerless India tweeter over, say, a Seas TDFC is peanuts. And today, using Borderlinx, you can sit in India and import these drivers from Madisound without too much trouble. Woofers would be heavy and expensive to ship, but a pair of tweeters is easy.

I also used the M16KI woofers from that site and ...
I too have been eyeing those drivers for any future speakers I may build, if I get the keeda to build an all-Indian design once again (like I had tried with the Mark I)

BTW, I saw an old post of yours about Sound Foundations, and I find their website very interesting. Maybe I have found an alternative to Dinrack chassis for amps after all. :D

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I see now the older drivers also had six holes, don't know where I remember the 4 hole mount from...

Actually no matter what service you use to import the dollar converts at about 100 once you factor in shipping and customs, and that was before it went mad in the last three months :)

This means that a pair of TDFC of TBFC/G ends up close to costing five times the cost of a pair of these. Plus, my total project cost including six LM3886 amplifiers for the drivers and a powered subwoofer was around the same as your enclosure cost!! I am handpainting the enclosures - looks be damned.

The Asawaris look great and well worth the effort and cost. I'm sure you will enjoy them for a long time to come!

Actually no matter what service you use to import the dollar converts at about 100 once you factor in shipping and customs, and that was before it went mad in the last three months :)
Yes, the madness has been quite something. Won't become sane again till the elections of 2014 get over.

I am assuming that the TDFC is about USD 40 each, and USD 80 means INR 8000 as per your formula. I am also assuming you are comparing these with Peerless India tweeters at Rs.1000 each, you are paying a premium of Rs.6,000 for choosing a pair of TDFC over Peerless. I think a premium of Rs.6,000 will push up the cost of my speaker projects like the Asawari Mark II only by a small amount -- my costs are currently Rs.55,000 for this pair, and that too because the enclosure was done in 2009, when wood and MDF were much cheaper. My carpenter's fees have gone up from Rs.375/day to Rs.600/day. Today, he would charge 50% more to build the Asawari, he told me. So, probably at today's prices, the Asawari would cost me Rs.70,000 or more. What's a markup of Rs.6,000 on a baseline of 70,000?

Plus, my total project cost including six LM3886 amplifiers for the drivers and a powered subwoofer was around the same as your enclosure cost!! I am handpainting the enclosures - looks be damned.
Active speakers push up the costs quite a bit. And moving from veneer to even laminates drops prices of enclosures quite a bit. The Asawaris would be Rs.6,000 cheaper if I had used laminates.

And painting is a superb finish for MDF enclosures. If well done, with some hand-polishing with fine emery paper between coats, you can get an outstanding glossy finish.

The Asawaris look great and well worth the effort and cost. I'm sure you will enjoy them for a long time to come!
Ha! They won't stay with me. A friend has been waiting years for me to finish them.

The thing I am really keen to build for myself is the Darbari

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.