HT surround system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently looking to design a set of HT surround speakers. I have some experience designing and building speakers having done a PMTTMP (Oval Port, 4" Mid, 2 stacked tweeters, 4" Mid, Oval Port) center channel, and several subwoofers. I would like to keep the speakers relatively small (around 8x12 or smaller). I had an inkling in my head to try doing a set of small horns using 4" or 5" drivers, but I have never designed, built or even heard a horn speaker before. Part of the problem is that I don't know where to go to listen to nicer speakers in my area (Detroit, MI). I am a little worried that I will not be able to get a horn small enough to fit my dimensions that will have extension down to at least 100Hz, preferably 70Hz. I currently use Yamaha NS-A635 3-way bookshelf speakers as my mains, my design for the center channel, some junky old speakers for surrounds, and 2 subs - a Dahlquist 12", and a self-designed-and-built 8".
Maybe I'm getting in over my head and should just buy a kit, but I do have plenty of time and skill to dedicate to designing and building a great set of speakers. Also, I'd like to keep the budget around $1000 or less for:2 mains, 1 center, and 2 surrounds.
Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of a nice speaker shop in the Detroit,MI area that would let me listen to a few different speakers, please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• center-channel.jpg
    center-channel.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 126
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.