Zaph: DAYTON PT2B-8 PLANAR TWEETER

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The tweeter is used in a design of Hobby Hifi, a German DIY loudspeaker magazine (August/Sept 2006, so just released). It is combined with a CSS WR 125S in a transmissionline.

For the money they say it is very good(secret tip) but crossover should be sufficiently high (3000Hz+)

The Silver Flute YAG20-1 tweeter Zaph tested is identical to the P2TB-8. His conclusion pretty much speaks for itself,
Silver Flute YAG20-1 ($40) - Every test has to have a loser. This is it. Fairly flat and controlled response, but the distortion kills it. In fact, it may be the worst tweeter I've ever tested.
I would be inclined to agree with zaph, though it has been said that higher distortion drivers sometimes sound more 'musical' (rel subs, for example) so they may suit you.

The Silver Flute YAG20-1 tweeter Zaph tested is identical to the P2TB-8.

I did not realize that. I know Zaph's review was not very positive for any of the planar tweeters. I did get these for a really good price.....

...I have to review Zaph's page again. If I recall, the poor distortion was down low. Does the distortion for planar tweeters improve above 4 kHz?

69stingray said:
Hello everyone,

I have come across a pair of DAYTON PT2B-8 PLANAR TWEETER , has anyone used these in a project? Any comments on likes / dislikes?

My first thoguhts is a MTM with a couple smaller full range speakers. Crossover around 4 kHz.

Zaph, if you would like to add to your planar tweeter results, I will not be using them for a while.

Some of these types will ring at the lower frequencies at high volume playback. The larger the plane, the more chances of ringing at the lower frequencies. High order roll off in the XO or using them as super tweeters usually eliminate the problem.

These normally have quite good low level resolution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.