Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2006, 10:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vifa or Peerless??

Hi Which Drivers are better sounding and higher quality in your opinion??

Rehards Sam
Old 4th August 2006, 01:27 PM   #2
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
Like anything else-It depends. What are you trying to achieve?
Old 4th August 2006, 01:39 PM   #3
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

In general, my preference is for peerless, all things being equal (which of course, they never are). I find peerless drivers to be very good in terms of quality for the dollar, with careful attention to design. You see many peerless drivers with high tech features hidden under a 'normal' facade: things like shorting rings in the motor don't LOOK cool, but they sure make it sound good

Vifa makes a number of very good drivers too, of course, my preference is just for peerless (maybe because I use their bass drivers?)
Old 4th August 2006, 02:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

ok I am about to build a 3 way Pyramid shaped Floor standing base reflex enclosures. I would like to use the scanspeak drivers, but they are approx 3 times the price of vifa or peerless. I just noticed a new range od drivers called peerless V line ( a combination of Vifa and Peerless), supposidely a up market Vifa? maybe thats what I need?
Also has anyone seen a DIY pyramid shaped enclosure??
Thanks again.
Sam.
Old 4th August 2006, 02:57 PM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

The Peerless v-line is just a new name for Vifa drivers that were existing. Part of the consolidation by Tymphany when they bought DST. They turfed out a lot of the older Vifa drivers like the P13, P17, D26NC etc.... what was left goes under the v-line banner.
Old 4th August 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

oh ic thanks for that Rabbitz still deciding on the 3 way drivers
Old 4th August 2006, 04:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well I've used the Vifa XT19 tweeter and its probably my favorite tweeter to date. Vifa makes a wide variety of very nice tweeters, and peerless has their new HDS tweeter which is supposed to be comparable to scan speak distortion levels.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

For woofers the new peerless HDS series looks very nice. I personally got these $10 buy out peerless woofers from Madisound and was blown away by the performance. So overall both are good value just chose whatever drivers fit your project.
Old 4th August 2006, 04:57 PM   #8
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by angsuman
Well I've used the Vifa XT19 tweeter and its probably my favorite tweeter to date. Vifa makes a wide variety of very nice tweeters, and peerless has their new HDS tweeter which is supposed to be comparable to scan speak distortion levels.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

For woofers the new peerless HDS series looks very nice. I personally got these $10 buy out peerless woofers from Madisound and was blown away by the performance. So overall both are good value just chose whatever drivers fit your project.

I use HDS 8"s for my woofers, at the moment, 2 per side in sealed boxes, low Q (.57ish). They don't suck
Old 4th August 2006, 05:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badman I use HDS 8"s for my woofers, at the moment, 2 per side in sealed boxes, low Q (.57ish).
What f3 you can get with those?
Old 4th August 2006, 06:11 PM   #10
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless 8" HDS Exclusive

This is an outstanding speaker. Blows my older Scan Speak 8535s away. More air, detail, yet smooth. View the almost flat-line response on the manufactures site. No 800-1000 Hz bump either. I use a Zobel 22uF & series 7 ohm resistor across the driver to help limit the top-end frequencies with the simple series x-over.

Why 8" for a midrange? No congestion issues like some 7" mid/bass speakers & larger cone has less travel for same volume producing lower IMD products.

I cross the Peerless at 2K using a simple series x-over. .82uH & 8.2uF cap. I use 3.5 ohm Mills in series with a Seas T25CF001 Excel tweeter to balance the output. The Seas is agressive, but not edgy. A somewhat milder tweeter is Morel MDT33, but more expensive. Perhaps an alternate would be a Scan Speak 9500 saving about $40 for a pair. Remember, it requires a stout tweeter to crossover at 2kHz & a simple series x-over does place some limitations on tweeters with higher fs.

I sealed this Peerless in a .5 cu ft sonic tube glued in the 2.8 cubic feet ported enclosure. Sonic tube is cardboard tube usually used for concrete peers and available at Home Depot. This limits low end response without a complicated x-over. Low frequencies are handled with a Pioneer (don't laugh) 12" speaker & series 11uH inductor. X-over is called a 2.5 way. The Pioneer speaker has the rubber surround & is available at Parts Express for $65 each. This speaker is better than Altec 604s, Stevens Trusonic (fotget model) and JBL D120s on accurate bass- no kidding. Also kills Peerless 12" XLR series.

Compared to my older ProAc 2.5 Response speakers, there is no comparison.

Hide this!Advertise here!