Covering speakers with vinyl fabrics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sqlkev said:
trusound,
do you have any links to anything that looks a bit more high end than the PA look?

By this do you mean links to things that will give you design ideas? I wasn't actually suggesting the "PA look" in my post, but really just providing a source for materials.

The same materials used to cover PA speakers can be used in different ways on home speakers of course, but if you're looking for a variety of materials to choose from try a local fabric shop - depending on their size you may find a great selection of different materials and patterns/grains.

Also try upholsterers - they may have real leather that they'll be willing to sell you by the yard; there are probably other sources too - I just haven't "Googled" them.

Hmmm - loudspeakers trimmed in fine leather - a unique look, high fidelity, and that wonderful aroma - sounds like Heaven to me!

;)

sdclc126,
I actually have a design planned out and started to cut baffles today. The vinyl fabrics that you showed me looks a lot like PA materials, a bit too rugged, know what I mean?

I'm leaning toward a smoother look but I don't know how that would turn out to be.

Guess when I'm done with the speakers, I'll head down to the local vinyl shops to see what they have available.

BTW, would the vinyl affect the front baffle diffraction at all? I'm thinking it would be positive. Not too sure.

Avoid vinyls that have foam (expanded) core... this is the overwhelming bulk of the them. They snag and scratch easily. This foam layer is very thin but can be spotted easily by looking closely at the edge of the material. Usually expanded (foam cored) materials have a "jersey" backing. This is knitted material, just like a tee shirt, that can indentified on close inspection. A dead give away for these types of materials is that they are soft and they stretch. These are intended for seat upholstery and the like where the stretch and foam enhance durability.

Over a hard substrate, the game changes. You want solid vinyl material on a WOVEN (not knitted) backing. These resists snagging and scrathing. Convertible top material amd tonneau cover materials (in addition to Tolex) are good examples. The weaves are 2 and 4 plies twills, but woven none the less.

There is a British Vinyl called "Everflex" used on Rolls Royces... spendy but very nice... subtle grain... not too shiny.

I you fall in love in with an expanded jersey backed material... go for it... just be forwarned.

On a small note... leather comes by the hide and not the yard... expect to pay $8 to $20 per square foot (still some portion of a hide). If you wish to buy dimensioned/cut pieces from the prime portions of the hide... expect to pay 2 to 4 times that for it. Hides run from 35 to 55 feet. Some will sell half hides split tail to head.

Hard wearing leather is big bucks... save your money. Use whatever tickles your eyes as wear won't be an issue in a "wallpaper" application like this.

:)

I've done several projects using leatherette on the baffle including a Sonus Faber Guarneri knock-off.

Currently I'm doing another of the Sonus Faber Concerto. This is a pic from two days ago.

Attachments

• dscf0003.jpg
    dscf0003.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 267
Here's a pic I just took of the glued cabinets,
it's about 15"H x 8"W x 13.5"D
Should I add bracing?
The sides are 1.5" thick and I'm thinking of making the front 1.5" as well. The midwoofer will be a 6" and the cabinet will be ported.

Attachments

• img_0603.jpg
    img_0603.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 182
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.