Bose 802 Deluxe Speaker System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I wouldn't put the 802 in the high end category, it's just loud. Sounds ok in small to medium venues. Think of it as a pro version of the 901 with one less driver in a different cabinet. (Also it's not direct/reflecting)

I am sure if you google it you will find a few reviews. B*se isn't very nice to reviewers who find fault with their products so I would not put a whole lot of weight in a glowing review.

I've seen many inquiries about Bose products here - I think it shows how successful they've been in CONVINCING the unsuspecting consumer that they're high-end, when they're really just very popular and overpriced mass market junk.

I've been to so many homes where there's a Bose system and they all sound like garbage, but Bose's marketing and aggressive salespeople have convinced them they're buying "high-end." They're told "This is the best" so they believe it - the power of suggestion.

There is a lot of mediocre audio equipment out there, and for the majority of consumers it's all they need because they simply don't have the ear for, nor do they care about, true high fidelity, and companies like Bose know this. What's sad is when people pay more money for stuff that's no better than alternatives costing much less.

And it's getting easier and easier to fool people. Most now have heard little if any good live music. So they are only comparing sounds of reproduced music which has been engineered to sound good on cheap systems.

Example: When my 13 year old first heard an all acoustic live band, he was shocked at how sweet it sounded compared to his metal CDs.

He still listens to the metal but now, joins me often to listen Jazz bands recorded 40 years ago.

I agree that the current Bose lifestyle equipment is decidedly mid-fi. and is very expensive when judged on audio quality. I'm sure some would argue the "mid" but if I define lo-fi as $10 clock radios, then Bose id mid-fi. Bose is aiming at the market of people who want equipment that is easy to set up, easy to understand and unobtrusive and are willing to pay for the convenience. It's "hi-fi" for people who have happily lived with a clock radio until then.

Bose is a different company now than the company was back in the 70's. The original Bose 901 was well reviewed by the hi-fi magazines back in the day (30+ years ago) and was considered a "high end speaker". Speaker technology has passed the 901's by now.

The original 802 was a pro version of the 901 where the the speaker was turned around so the speakers on the "back" were turned around toward the audience while two speakers where used so the band could here the sound. I don't know how any of the 802 versions would fare as home speakers.

Dj FastMind said:
Anybody know where u can read about the Bose 802 Deluxe Speaker System and maybe where it is compared to other high end systems?

Hey Dj - I don't think anybody meant to scare you off here or chastize you for being interested in Bose - maybe you'd like to tell us why you are inquiring about these speakers - is there a particular application you have in mind, or perhaps a project you're working on?

If there is a certain aspect of these speakers that intrigues you, or you want to build something similar to them (with better components?) - please let us know - that's the sort of thing you might get some help with.

By the way, it looks like you're new to the forum - don't go away! Welcome!

...and if you need parts, I think I can get around 10 pairs cheeeap. It's hard to give those things away. Btw, I agree that they were better than some other boxes back in the day, they were great for dj gigs and cruise ships (I've installed many on fairly recent Carnival ships)

HI, my englih is horrible.
In the moment i studing in a University and work my DIY speakers with superior medition and calculation, test in anecoique cameras, etc....

I work over 4 years the DJ and 7 the Sound technical. I work with a 802 (with new edges), 802mKii and 802Mkiii... The sound pretty with, much treble

ideal for:
- Ambient with guies non Audiofilies... with a pleases a sound with hi levels the bass (provides for sub) and hi levels the Trebles (provides for 802 or Piezo tweeter)...

- Ideal for Marriages, cocktels, vocal sound, etc for a caracteristiques little well-known (poco notorias) in events...

I join money for buy 4 802 in future, solo for a brand.. In a places, or events i requiered for work a 802 "BOSE" in a Technical PAPER. Not acept JBL, EV, Yorkvile, or other brand.

In the practical, i have 8 diy Trapesoidal spk, with a 2ways components chinenses heheeheee 8" woofer with a rubber edges sorrund and 2.5" tweeter.. Passive crossover. The sound and level presure is better to 802. Have a good apareance with paint terminations and a one aluminium grille and 2 speakon connector. Non requiered active filter, 802 the real sound with out active filter is horrible comparable with a clock radio, the active filter repair a peak and to match frecuences.

Saludos

pmscompany@gmail.com

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There was a Bose pro powered speaker back in the late 80s/early 90s that I really liked. It looked like a big, heavy 802, but had an LF driver (12"?) and amp inside. Very loud, but also good bass and good detail. Amazing detail, actually.

It was called "Acoustimass" like the present consumer line. I seemed to be the only person who ever used them, as no one else remembers them. :apathic:
But the were cool!

I've also heard Bose ceiling speakers in hotel ballrooms that were way better than any other ceiling speaker I've heard. There is a Bose plant in Columbia, South Carolina and thus some nice Bose installs in the surrounding area.

Yeah those ceiling speakers are ok, but like any bose product, without lots of processing they sound pretty bland, it's still a single inexpensive paper cone driver. I forget the model #, they come in a 4 inch and 6 inch model as I remember. The Bose guys came buy and did a demo of thier new high powered speaker system. Looked a lot like the Dynacord rig, three boxes that stacked on eachother. It too sounded ok nothing special. Like any bose product, it used a "three note wonder" sub and needed a lot of power. We put a CQ next to it and it was pretty obvious. It was a short demo.

panomaniac said:

---------There was a Bose pro powered speaker back in the late 80s/early 90s that I really liked. It looked like a big, heavy 802, but had an LF driver (12"?) and amp inside. Very loud, but also good bass and good detail. Amazing detail, actually.

RP: 802 have one way, 8x 4.5" drivers
( http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/e9/23/82_1.JPG )
The 802 passibe BOX, non power, active.

The sound is Very Pretty, yes and good for transductor similar a Toys the 4.5" drivers heheehee, in 50" the Master "DR. AMAR BOSE" a create a standard drivers 4.5" for a prototipe the 901. Good invention !!!
In the moment actual Bose drivers 4.5" is very similar a the 1955" (cone, suspention, spider and voice coil, magnet) the drivers have a exellent responce with a active filter !!! The diameter ir very small for efective 60hz bass response, Amar Bose utilise a exellent desing of acoustic box, similar a actual sub bass spk for Home Theather...

Active filter + toy speaker + good acoustic box (calculated) = Good result

I test a 4X 4 or 5" transductor, with a 31 band Eq + test box =
Exellent result

------- It was called "Acoustimass" like the present consumer line. I seemed to be the only person who ever used them, as no one else remembers them. :apathic:
But the were cool!

RP: Yes, cool for 80, 90" in the moment for low money buy a superior Spks with a superior Level presure, definition, frecuense response and inferion dimentions !!!
Bose 802 is standart speaker with good sound, decent level presure out, and response, with small dimentions and easy transport !!!

-------- I've also heard Bose ceiling speakers in hotel ballrooms that were way better than any other ceiling speaker I've heard. There is a Bose plant in Columbia, South Carolina and thus some nice Bose installs in the surrounding area.

Rp: Yeahh the Bose ceiling spk is a best !!! Exellent sound at comparation with other industries...

My english is horrible

- Saludos

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm not sure if you thought I was talking about the 802, I was not.
The Bose powered speaker I used had the basic form of an 802 - but bigger.
Sounded much, much better.

As to how it would compare with today's powered speakers, who knows? But it was much smaller and probably a lot cheaper than a Meyer CQ. =) I know I'd take it over a JBL EON anyday.

Have you seen this mystery Bose in South America?

Bose Speakers

The 802 was the first professional speaker to be made out of a plastic and still sounds right, made for being on the road. The objective was to make something really light and rugged back in the days when everybody was hauling speakers around that had a weight 3x what the 802 is, because it was all wood and steel. Furthermore, you can hardly break it with the largest amplifier you can find, as it as an enormous overload resistance. (Some sales people went as far as plugging the speaker directly into the main outlet....without breaking it for the first few seconds or so...) And that is why users still have these first modesl around and use them. Don't disrespect the veterans....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
imix500 said:
Meyer's never been known for budget speakers.

As we say in the biz, "Meyer Sound - You can buy better speakers, but you can't pay more for them."

And of course the old saw "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."

the old Apogee concert cabs in that they needed LOTS of power to breathe.

Ah yes, I remember those. Toured a rock opera with a big Apogee/QSC rig. We opened the show at the Jubilee hockey rink in Leningrad. Was happy to have a rig that wouldn't break. Hard to get parts into Russia back in those days.

The Apogee system had connections from the amp outputs back into the processor. A post amp feedback loop of some kind. You could push and push, but you couldn't blow them up.

I suppose that's one reason that powered speakers work so well - Bose, Meyer, JBL, Mackie whatever. Tight integration between amp/processor/drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.