Speaker Measurement System (Mic, pre-amp, software)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to setup a loudspeaker measurement system for T/S parameters and speaker testing

So I have done a bit of searching through a bunch of threads and this is what I have come up with for a shopping list. I'd rather buy the equipment instead of make it myself. However I will make the wallin jig or equivalent.

Jig

Mics
BEHRINGER ECM8000

Pre-Amp
Rolls Mp13
BEHRINGER UB802

Software
Speaker workshop
LSPCAD 6
Arta
Audio Tester

I have decided on pretty much everything except for the software. I would like something a little user friendly. I'm leaning towards teh UB802, ECM8000, and Audio tester. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS OUT THERE AND IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER EQUIPMENT TO ADD PLEASE PROVIDE THE LINKS.

thank you

Audio Tester Arta LSPCAD 6 Speaker Workshop BEHRINGER UB802 Rolls Mp13 BEHRINGER ECM8000 Jig

Speaker Workshop is not user friendly, but it's free and does everything you require so try that first. The others have free demo versions so why not try them all and report back with your findings?

Another software application that you should consider is Sample Champion:
http://www.purebits.com/

One thing that is not on your list is a soundcard. A motherboard's built-in sound will usually give you pretty good results but an external sound card (not Creative Labs!) will be needed for absolute accuracy.

FWIW, I use Speaker Workshop with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. It works just fine.

Nice one,
David.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can recommend audiotester software which I currently use with the transit. I plan to install this on my media server with an audiophile 2496 pci.

I purchased a Behringer ECM8000 and designed a low noise mic pre for it using the Analog Devices SSM2219 low noise mic pre-amp ic. Has phantom power and switchable gain levels.

I originally planned on using the UB802 mixer but was concerned about the overall flatness of the mic pre-amplifier in this. I had also considered an m-audio dmp3 as it is known to be quiet and has extended and relatively flat frequency response.

If you are interested in possibly purchasing a set of boards let me know as I have spares. I will post a pix of an assembled set of boards tonight.

I used Speaker WorkShop for a while, I became tired of it as it seemed to be geared towards older PCs and I had several lockups.

I use Soundeasy Now, there are a few bugs in it but once you get the system down it's a walk in the park. And I believe the support is far better.

I'm using the BEHRINGER ECM8000 and the BEHRINGER UB802 along with an EMU 0404 sound card. For the amp I have an old Yammhammer that switchalbe to class A amplification. As for a Wallins Jig, mine is some what geared for what I do, and is far bigger. I still have signal generators and scopes to test other things I like to look at.

I also consider Arta, but I cannot even try it. :mad: I have soundcard with in-built mic preamp and the measurement box is not suitable for this configuration. On the other hand, on Arta's web is written that sw has been succesfully tested with Tascam US-122, which I own. The same it is for M-audio MobilePre.
Does anybody deal with it?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is a pix of my ssm2019 based mic pre-amplifier. I will be assembling and testing it within the next few days. Will probably publish the design on my site - it is pretty simple actually.

It uses a mix of smd and through hole devices. Up to 60dB of gain is possible. Supplies are regulated +/-15V and 30V phantom.

Attachments

• pre-amp board.jpg
    pre-amp board.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,206
try out one of these devices...

http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html

you get a new soundcard and a pretty decent mic preamplifier all in one unit. I use a Presonus firepod(very similar) with an earthworks mic in my Smaart rig and it works great...

BTW, does anyone around here use smaart? I know it is tailored for the Pro Audio environment but alot of the tools could realy be valuable at home. definately would help with speaker placement and room correction.

http://www.siasoft.com/

it is a little pricey though;) -ak

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Actually I was planning on just offering you the bare boards with documentation to assemble your own, however I would be happy to assemble and test a pair for you, but that probably is not going to be very economical. Send me a PM and we can discuss this further, let me know what you think is a reasonable price. I'm willing to sell the bare boards below their actual cost in order to recoup some of my investment in this project.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I haven't used Praxis, but I did use it's predecessor LAUD which was definitely the one to have at the time. I would expect Praxis to be very good, and probably a lot more flexible than Audiotester which is what I am using. Liberty provided good user support for LAUD, presumably they support Praxis just as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think Audiotester is a huge bargain for the price and seems to work pretty well. I am still learning to use it, and at the moment sometimes get results that seem more than a little questionable. (I use the alternate asio dll option as this is what my audio hardware supports. Asio support in this program is limited and buggy.)

guru_jeff said:
Has anyone used praxis with the previously posted mics and pre-amps above.

http://www.libinst.com/

how does it compare to ARTA and audiotester?

I've used it. It's excellent.

You don't need the pre-amp, the Aud-pod interface includes it. In fact, save yourself a LOT of extra work, and just buy the Microphone/calibration file package from Liberty Instruments if you are serious about Praxis. It will all work well, right out of the box for you...in most cases.

In addition, the included measurement guides are top notch in explaining how to set up every measurement you might want to make, helping you get up and running even quicker.

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.