Crossover Layout Tips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building my first set of decent speakers:

http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/DaytonRS7/Cryolite.htm

and I'm getting ready to build the crossovers.

I was wondering if someone has any tips or guidelines for laying out the components. For example, is it good to space the components apart from each other (like the inductors) or keep things compact to minimize signal paths.

Thanks in advance for your help.
(K)

Signal length is usualy not an issue here. If you have to use a jumper (extra wire) to make a connection just keep it straight, don't add bends or, heaven forbid, loops.

Beware when mounting inductors close to one another. See this article for details:
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

Make sure the wire connections are tight before soldering. Solder is best thought of as insurance.

Myself...

I avoid having any components in contact with another. But close is ok (see warning on inductors), say .5cm or 1/4 of an inch minimum.

I like to rigidly fasten everything except resistors, these I sometimes raise above the board just a little for better airflow. Keep a little extra distance around them as well.

Caps get mounted flush to the board with a bit of hot melt glue to secure them. Really big caps get mounted with a plastic (zip) tie and hot melt.

Air core inductors get attached with plastic (zip) ties. Usualy hot melt too.

Layout is whatever works on the board. I use the smallest practical board/signal path I can. But I don't worry about having a tweeter cap at one corner and it's companion inductor at the opposite corner if it makes construction possible/easier. Jumper wires on the bottom of the board get covered in hot melt.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
simple example

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 240
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.