diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   First loudspeaker design with crossover (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/83852-first-loudspeaker-design-crossover.html)

Jiggity 27th July 2006 11:51 PM

First loudspeaker design with crossover

First off id like to say that ive been floating around these boards for a while, and the information I took from all of the discussions and members was a great help to me while building my first first subwoofer, so thankyou all for that. For the subwoofer I used a TC2+ 12SVC and a 500W bash amp in a 1.2ft^3 enlcosure and I love it.

Now that I know the quality of DIY, im looking into building some loudspeakers to give me much better mid/high range (Right now im running some KLH floor speakers that leave MUCH to be desired). I am looking into building an MTM design using the following drivers.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-308
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=275-075

Using those I wanted to also design my first crossover probably a 12db/oct Linkwitz at around 2000Hz. Another Question that I have is if I should use a Zobel network to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well as any links to free crossover design software.

Thankyou again for all your help in the past.

sdclc126 28th July 2006 03:10 AM

Have you looked at the projects and kits at PartsExpress? Namely there is the Dayton III - maybe the closest to what you descdribe - but there are others using the same drivers, some using the 5.25" woofer and some using the 8".

Lots of great info to digest there and will probably give you lots of guidance for your crossover design.

Also several Dayton designs at www.speakerbuilder.net

Some of these are the same as the projects at PE.

Bare 28th July 2006 03:18 AM

A 1.2cu foot BASS Enclosure !??
Errr.. for what a Geo Metro??
Why on earth would one even think that an enclosure that small would be worth even wasting the Wood on?
C'mon Mate.. one can do a lot better than that.
Just cuz someone claims it 'works' doesn't necessarily make it true.

nunayafb 28th July 2006 03:36 AM

Quote:

Why on earth would one even think that an enclosure that small would be worth even wasting the Wood on?
You are joking right mate...

sdclc126 28th July 2006 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bare
A 1.2cu foot BASS Enclosure !??
Errr.. for what a Geo Metro??

That's not what his questions are about.

Jiggity 28th July 2006 07:41 AM

Thanks for the quick response, yes I have seen the speakers on the PE website, and those are along the lines of what im looking to build. I want to design and build it myself just because well....I think it would be more fun and I would learn more.

I guess im wondering what you see as the weaknesses of the two speakers I said I was thinking of using in my first post with a standard 12db/oct linkwitz at about 3khz.

Since this is my first try at loudspeakers I am still learning alot every day (spending some time on speakerbuilder) and I appreciate everyone pushing me in the right direction.

Thankyou

sreten 28th July 2006 09:13 AM

Hi,

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker19.html

If you don't understand absolutely everything in this article don't
even think about designing your own crossover, unless you think
fun is being blissfully unaware that you are doing it wrong.

Note in the above the crossover is 2nd order electrical and looks
nothing like standard 2nd order L/R, whilst the acoustic response
includes baffle step compensation, the driver responses, ripples
due to baffle diffraction and is 4th order L/R acoustic.

For your first speaker build you should limit your design activities
to finding a well documented design that suits your budget and
purpose. For example are you going for quantity, high SPL, so
possibly MTM ? or quality, better drivers in a MT ? Are they chosen
specifically to work with a subwoofer or to work on their own ?
Will they be driven with a HT amplifier ? what settings ? Etc...

:)/sreten.

Jiggity 28th July 2006 06:01 PM

Well I dont understand everything in that article yet, but I wouldnt be building anything for at least 4 months so I have plenty of time to get up to speed. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the 'Loudspeaker Design cookbook' I hear good things about it but im not sure.

Their use would be mainly musical (right now I have a 2.1 setup) so it does get loud quite a bit, but I would also like decent quality at high volumes which is why I was thinking MTM. As for my reciever I have a 6x110W HT so that later if I did want a HT setup I wouldnt have to buy a different one.

I understand that if I jump into this without knowing exactly what im doing its not going to turn out wel,l which is why im starting to ask questions now and hopefully by the time rolls around when I can build these Ill be prepared.

sdclc126 28th July 2006 07:13 PM

I would have to second Sreten's comments above. Since there are so many proven designs out there already using the drivers you've chosen, I don't really see that you have much to gain by starting from scratch. Certainly go MTM or TMM, probably sealed since you're using a sub.

Improving on the performance of what is already out there by trying to tweak crossover design, cabinet tuning, etc. is best left for experts. Of course, to become an expert you have to start somewhere, and I commend you for even considering taking this approach. I'm concerned about you just ending up frustrated and disappointed though - kind of takes the fun out of the whole thing.

I haven't read the "Cookbook" yet, but I see it recommended more often than any other. I believe it discusses crossover design in depth, and remember there is plenty of software available too. But you'll still want to measure your results though if you really want to get things right, and that of course takes more hard- and software.

tinitus 28th July 2006 09:34 PM

Take a cheap proven design - and learn how to make it play better